Instagram, like Facebook, and every other social network, is full of all kinds of people. Some of them are very nice and upload interesting photos. But there are also some weirdos that may ruin the experience. Or worse, one may encounter people who he even avoids in real life, like an annoying ex. Many others may also want to protect their privacy. For all these cases, knowing how to block someone on Instagram will be a lifesaver in 2021.
How to Block Someone on Instagram Using a Mobile Device
There are many reasons why someone may want to know how to block someone on Instagram. But fortunately, the way to do so from Instagram’s app is only one. And it is quite easy to do without having to mess around with the browser’s cookies or anything like that. Here is a detailed description of every step there is to follow:
1. Visit the User’s Instagram Profile
Visit the page of the person that is going to be blocked. This can be done either by searching for them through the search bar or by clicking on their username when checking out the feed. A direct link or a Google search can also work for this.
2. Tap on the Button With Three Dots
Once there, look for the three small dots lined horizontally. They are in the upper part of the screen towards the right. Doing this will give lots of options regarding what to do with the person. A popup will appear, and the user will have to select what it is that he wants to do.
3. Select the “Block” Option
Out of the many options, choose the first one, “Block”. It will be in red. A new message will pop up after this. It will ask the user to confirm if he is sure he wants to do this. If that is the case, click on “Yes”. But do not worry, this can be undone later if there are regrets.
4. Click on “Dismiss”
Finally, a new popup will come up. It will notify the user that the profile is now indeed blocked. And that if one wants to unblock him, he can do so at any time. Just tap on dismiss, and it’s done!
How to Block Someone on Instagram From a Computer
Though Instagram was designed to be used on the phone, many of the options are also available on its website. And fortunately, that is the case of the option to block another user. So, if, for any reason, there is no access to the app, just follow these steps to know how to block someone on Instagram.
1. Enter the Account
Enter the website and go to the profile that is going to be blocked. This can be done either directly by using a link. Or indirectly, by finding the user in the feed or through the search bar.
2. Click on the Three Dots
They are right next to the “Following” button, which is to the side of the name. Click on them so that a list of options pops up.
3. Click on the “Block This User” Button
The list will have three options. The one to choose is the button in the middle. Click on it so that the user is blocked. Another sign will appear, asking if the user is sure that he wants to take this step.
4. Click on “Dismiss”
Finally, a new sign will pop up, letting the user know that this option is not for life and that it can be changed whenever one wants. Just go back to the profile and unblock the user. Click on the “Dismiss” button.
Now, to make sure that the process went as expected, check if the button that used to say “Following” now says “Blocked”. If so, it is done! That user will not come up in the feed any longer. It is always possible to unblock them later. Contrary to what many believe, cleaning the cookies on the computer has nothing to do with this.
What Happens When You Block Someone On Instagram
Blocking someone else is not only about not seeing their posts in the feed anymore. There many other ways in which two accounts can interact. How are these affected when a person blocks another one? Read on to find out.
Likes and Comments
Many people believe that just by Instagram blocking someone, all the previous interactions will go away. But this is not the case.
- Likes and comments are not deleted from any posts. But this can be done manually if the user does not want to see them any longer.
- If the user interacts with public posts, whether it is by liking them or posting a comment, the blocked person will be able to see this.
Mentions refer to tagging people on posts, whether they are images, videos, or stories. But can blocked users keep on tagging others?
- They can keep on mentioning the user who blocked them, but he will not receive a notification. And neither will this appear in his activity.
- Now, if the person who blocked the profile changes his username, the other will not be able to mention it unless he learns in some way which the new name is.
The main reason why a user may want to know how to block people on Instagram is wanting to lose contact with them. But how does this work when it comes to sending private messages?
- The previous conversations will remain in the inbox, but the user will not be able to send messages anymore.
- If the other person sends texts, they will never be delivered. Even if the person is unblocked later, those messages will be lost.
- If the two users are in the same group, the person who blocked will be asked if he still wants to be part of that group. If he does, he will still be able to see the texts of the other person.
Blocked, but with Mentions: How Does This Work?
Even if an account is blocked by a user, they can still mention each other. But there are some limitations. The person who blocked can be tagged on a post by the other one, but he will not get any alert. And this will not show in the activity section.
And if the person changes his username, then the other person will not be able to tag him. Unless, of course, he discovers the new name in some way.
Get a Private Account: Share Only with Approved Users
Now, if one only wants to keep strangers from checking out private posts, the best solution is to make an account private. But bear in mind that this is only available for personal profiles. Instagram makes all accounts public by default, but this does not have to stay that way. Follow these steps to have a private account in no time.
How to Set an Account to Private from the Instagram App
The app is the main way to control one’s account. The best way to tweak these settings is by doing the following.
- Go to the profile by clicking on the small account image in the lower bar.
- Click the three lines towards the top corner of the app.
- Tap the “Settings” option towards the lower part of the screen. A list of many different options will appear.
- Tap on “Privacy”, and then “Account Privacy”.
- Now, choose “Private Account”.
How to Set an Account to Private on a Computer
If the app is not working or not available for any reason, the next best option is to do this on a browser.
- Go to instagram.com and enter the account details, like username and password.
- Enter the profile by clicking on the image of a little person, then click on the small wheel icon that refers to settings.
- Select the option “Privacy and Security”
- Go to “Account Privacy” and turn on the function “Private Account”.
Peculiarities of Having a Private Account
Even though this function can come in handy for many things, it has some limitations. Here are the top things to bear in mind before taking this step.
- Other users will still be able to send private messages, even if they are not following the account.
- If new users want to start following the account, they will have to send a follow request. Otherwise, they will not be able to access any of the info related to the profile.
- Requests will be in the Activity section. The user will have the option to accept them or deny them on the spot.
- People who were already following the account will keep on doing so. To avoid this, the best solution is to block them.
Frequently Asked Questions
When I Block Someone on Instagram, Do Their Likes and Comments Disappear From My Photos and Videos?
No, they do not. This is not something that happens automatically, but it can be done manually. The comments will stay there until someone deletes them. This can be done by pressing on the unwanted comment. Then, swipe to the left and click on the trash icon.
Can You Block Someone Who Doesn’t Follow You on Instagram?
Yes, this is possible. Following each other is not a requirement to block another user. To do this, the procedure is exactly the same as when blocking anyone else. Go to their profile, click on the three buttons, and select the option “Block”. Then accept all the signs that will appear, and it is done!
Can You Message Someone Who Blocked You on Instagram?
Not really. It is not possible to send a message to the blocker unless the conversation already exists, and it was not deleted by him. In this case, it is possible to send a message. But it will never be delivered and will appear as unread. Even if the other person unblocks the profile, he will never get those texts. The only way in which two people can message each other is if none of them blocked the other one.
In the case of groups, the person who blocks will be given the option to stay or leave. If he decides to remain, he will be able to receive the texts from the person he banned.
Can a Blocked Person See My Comments on a Mutual Friend’s Post?
Yes, this is possible. Many users wonder what happens when you block someone on Instagram regarding comments. It works like this. If one makes a comment or likes a public account, everyone will be able to see it, including those who were blocked. The same happens when one interacts with a profile that both follow. The best way to avoid this is by stopping interacting with accounts that the other person follows.
When You Block Someone on Instagram What Do They See?
They do not see anything. If they try to look for the account on the search bar, no results will turn up. If they enter the account through a direct link, they will see a “No Posts Yet” sign. And it will also look like no stories were published. The good thing is that people do not receive an alert when they are blocked.
Keep Annoying People at Bay
Instagram, just like Facebook, is one of the biggest platforms in 2020. And while most people enjoy sharing their content there, some others may want to avoid other users. The reasons why a person may not want another one to see his account are many. In most cases, this is due to wanting some privacy or to avoid annoying people. But sometimes, this may also happen for personal reasons. Whatever it is it happened, following these steps will help users to leave their worries behind. Also, thanks to this info, you will be able to benefit from this tutorial without having to worry about what happens when you block someone on Instagram.