One of the best ways to connect with others on this social platform is by mentioning them on a post or photo. This can be done to share something with them or to show what the poster and his friend did together. Yet, many people do not know how to tag someone on Facebook. But don’t worry! It is easy, fast, and safe. Users can customize this process to their convenience. Here is a step-by-step guide that will help to do it in a jiff.
How to Tag Someone in a Facebook Post
These methods will allow users to let others know who they were with. They are also ideal for sharing a status, image, or video with someone in particular. Follow these steps to know how to tag someone in a Facebook post, either on a computer or cellphone.
This social media platform was created to be used on the web. So, many feel more comfortable using it there instead of on the phone. Those who wonder how to tag friends on Facebook on a PC will find it is easy and fast.
The First Option: Right in the Text
The first option is quite simple and can be done before the post goes live. For it, users only need to have signed up to their accounts first. And have something to share that includes other people. It may be a joke or a meme, for example.
- Post something new or select an existing one where people should be tagged.
- Write the @ symbol and start typing the name of the person to add.
- There will be a list of options, choose the right one.
- Publish the post, and the other person will get an alert.
The Second Option: Let Others Know Who You Were With
There is another way to mention people without having them appear right in the text field. This one will be on the upper part. See how to tag someone on Facebook with a different style.
- Start a new post by clicking on the box above the feed.
- There is a blue button with the image of two people that says “Tag People”. Click on it.
- A new field will appear asking, “Who are you with?”.
- Click next to the “with” and start typing the name of the person to be tagged.
- A list of possible names will come up. Select the right one.
- Write something in the text field and click on “Post”. It is the blue button on the lower right side. The other person will get an alert about this.
The 2020 version of the Facebook app offers the same features as the website, including mentions. Learn how to tag people on Facebook following the two main methods available.
The On-The-Go Option
Tagging someone on a media post or comment is very easy on a phone and can be done in seconds.
- Start a new post or comment on what someone else shared, like a photo or status.
- One can begin writing the name of the person he wants to mention, and the algorithm will suggest a few names.
- It is also possible to do this by typing @ and then write the name.
- A list of options will pop up. Choose the right one.
- Finish writing the rest, or just hit “Post”, on the lower corner.
Mention Them Right from the Start
There is another good option for cellphone users that is just as easy. But it may be more convenient in some circumstances.
- Go to the box above Facebook feed. It will be the first thing to come up after opening the app. It will read, “What’s on your mind?” or something similar.
- Below the text field, there will be a list of options. The second one is a blue button that says “Tag People”.
- A new box will appear, asking, “Who are you with?”.
- It is also possible to pick a name from the “Suggestions” box.
- Begin writing the person’s name.
- There will be an interactive list with many options. Just pick the right one. It is also possible to select more than one name here.
- Click the button that reads “Done” or “Next”. Then write the rest of the text and click on “Post’.
How to Tag Someone in a Photo
“How do you tag someone on Facebook photos?” is a common question among those who only know how to do this with a status. Some of the steps will change between media and text. And even more so between a PC and a phone. Follow these steps to do it in a jiff.
- Select one of the images on an album or timeline.
- At the bottom, there will be a button named “Tag Photo”. Click on it.
- Select the face of the person to be tagged. Sometimes the algorithm will detect the face and even suggest a name.
- If that does not happen, start writing the name.
- There will be a list of options. Choose the correct one.
- Just accept this, and the other person will be notified right away.
It is no secret that Facebook updates its app all the time. Yet, mentions work always the same.
Check out how to tag friends on Facebook in just a few seconds with these steps.
- Go to the timeline and pick the image. It is also possible to do this straight from the albums, in the profile section.
- On the upper part of the screen, there will be a label button. Click on it.
- Touch any section of the pic.
- Begin to write the name of the user.
- Choose the right option from the list of people that will appear. They will be mentioned right away.
- Click the X button to close. The other person will receive a notification.
When Is the Right Moment to Mention Someone?
Though the platform informs users on how to tag someone in a Facebook post, they do not say which is the best moment. With these tips, people should not be afraid to break the social conventions of Facebook.
These are common scenarios in which users can tag someone else without having to worry. It is conventional to do that in these cases.
When a person finds something that one of his friends or acquaintances could be interested in, he can mention them without worries.
- When sharing someone else’s media content, users are expected to mention the original poster. In this way, they give due credit to those who deserve it.
- It is also customary to tag someone when quoting what he said.
- Users may also tag someone who would be interested in something he wrote. This is ideal for those who work in similar niches.
Now, in some situations, it does not matter if one knows how to tag someone in a Facebook post. It is not fine to mention other people. Yet, many people do it. Some of these cases include the following.
It is not okay to mention famous people or influencers one does not have a relationship with just because users want to get their attention. They will not like it. And they will ignore it for sure.
- People should not mention every single one of their friends just to draw their attention to something they will not want to be tagged in.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Can’t I Mention Someone in a Facebook Post?
There may be many reasons for this. First of all, if the post is in a group, make sure that the other person is part of it. Otherwise, he will never be able to see the mention. Also, check if he has allowed other people to mention him in his privacy settings. Sometimes, users disable this.
Why Can’t I Mention Someone on a Facebook Photo?
The answer is pretty simple. Many people set their profiles so that they cannot be tagged ever. In this way, when others try to do this, they will find it impossible. Just ask them to change this to be able to mention them.
How Do I Fix My Tag on Facebook?
When one has been mentioned in a pic, he has the option to remove it. He can also change some things there. Here is the procedure to follow to find the options.
- Go to the privacy settings page. In the browser, it is on the upper part of the page.
- Select Timeline and Tagging, on the left part of the screen.
- Tap the option to review pics where one has been tagged.
- Hit Edit, and then Enable or Disable.
Why Can’t My Friends Mention Me on Facebook?
This may be because the tagging option is disabled in the settings. Make sure it is not by doing the following.
- Go to the profile page.
- Click Settings.
- Go to General, and then Tagging Ability.
- Check the option to allow others to use tags.
- Save the changes.
How Do I Turn off the Auto Tag?
- Go to the Account menu and select Privacy Settings.
- In the left corner, click on Customize Settings.
- There will be an option called Things Others Share. Within it, there will be a button that reads “Suggest photos of me to friends”.
- Go to Edit Settings, and then tap on Disable.
- A new popup will come up. Hit “Okay”
Why is Facebook Automatically Tagging?
Its 2020 algorithm was designed to recognize faces in pictures. But not only does Facebook identify them, but it also recognizes who they are. They will use this tech to mention everyone in the photo automatically. It is possible to opt-out of this in the settings.
How Do You Stop Friends From Tagging Themselves?
How to tag on Facebook is not all that matters. Sometimes people will also want to stop people from doing this. Luckily, the procedure is easy.
- Click the arrow facing down on the upper part and then select “Settings”.
- On the left part, hit “Timeline and Tagging”.
- There will be a section where users can review their posts and tags. Go to “Edit”.
- Choose between “Enabled” and “Disabled”.
Once a person learns how to tag on Facebook, there is no way back! This is a very convenient way to share info with friends and bond with them. The platform has made it very simple to do this in all the important places in 2020. Just make sure to follow the proper conventions. Otherwise, the other person might not be very happy. Are you going to tag someone now? Let us know in the comments how it works out!