When creating an Instagram account, it’s easy to pick a profile picture just by scrolling through the camera roll. But Instagram bio ideas are a completely different story — especially when they’re told in just 150 characters.
Yet, this bio is the first physical description potential followers notice when they click on a profile. This renders the words an immediate first impression — a propeller for brand success!
Table of Contents
- What is an IG Bio?
- The Importance of Memorable Bios
- The Makings of the Best IG Bios
- Instagram Templates All Users Should Follow
- 130+ Bio Ideas That Will Turn Account Users into Followers
- Prize-Worthy Bio Ideas and Real-Life Examples
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Don’t Wait Any Longer — Impress Followers Today!
What is Instagram Bio?
As of 2023, an Instagram bio is located on the homepage, beneath the profile picture circle. The words provide a summary of the motto, theme, or focus of the brand and business.
Sometimes, the bio can be as simple as someone’s star sign, interests, alma mater, or the quote the person or business lives by.
The Importance of Memorable Instagram Bios
Perhaps the best part of thinking up Instagram bio ideas is the lack of limitation. Possibilities are endless for Instagram bios, whether it be hashtags, website links, or even emojis.
With only 150 characters, the bio is a short and sweet expression of the bigger picture — the quick summary provides a foundation for the social account’s photos shown below. Its introductory impression must inspire people to continue scrolling down.
At the end of the day, the purpose of an Instagram bio is to make the user:
- Resonate with its description
- Feel connected to the account
- Follow the account
- Like the photos below
- Engage with the account
The Makings of the Best Instagram Bios
All Instagram accounts ultimately want the most followers possible. This goal can only be reached through the best Instagram bios that truly resonate with viewers and leave a lasting impression.
But it may sound daunting to think about how such a few words can make users decide to click “follow.” And that’s perfectly normal!
So, to avoid the over-thinking and the stress, check out what the best bios consist of below!
One way to tackle the Instagram bio is to make it consist of purposes, goals, or ambitions. If it’s a travel or social blog, a personal brand, or a business profile, a descriptive bio can concisely explain the purpose of the brand and what a user can gain from following it.
Another way to leave a mark is by making Instagram bio ideas entertaining. Even if it leaves a little mystery to what the account is actually about, a witty bio can make the user feel like this is a light-hearted space they can follow. It will intrigue them to continue scrolling through and like the pictures posted.
Any bio for Instagram that is memorable and unique does the trick just as well. If a content piece is random, hilarious, or interesting, the user will be more likely to think back to, remember, and follow the brand. Being memorable is crucial when Instagram is home to one billion accounts.
Pulling at emotional heartstrings is another great way to make use of an Instagram bio. No one can deny that pet shelters have the most moving commercials — and it’s because they use pathos and meaningful images to get the effect.
Finally, it’s best to keep the bio reader-friendly. Don’t use words that are too long to read or hard to understand for people. Don’t use sentences that are so text-full that a quick scroll wouldn’t reveal the content well. The best practice is to use simple words, emojis, hashtags, and URLs to keep the bio engaging and not too wordy.
Instagram Templates All Users Should Follow
While there is no set of rules on how one should conduct their Instagram bio, there are certain tips, tricks, and examples one could use to get followers.
Just like in life, first impressions of an account are key. The profile picture, user name, photos, captions, bios — these all work as moving pieces in a puzzle. They need to complement one another!
Here’s how to get Instagram bio ideas to do their part.
1. Keep Target Audiences Front of Mind
It’s much easier to have an Instagram bio inspire users to follow when the language or content is directed towards them specifically. By planning and researching who the target audience is for the brand, an account holder can be sure the messaging will resonate, inspire, or influence those specified demographics.
2. Make it Personal
No one likes following people or brands they cannot relate to. No matter if the social account is personal or business-related, providing a description that is authentic and honest helps craft an environment of genuine interest. It’s not about being perfect — it’s about relating to followers on a deeper level.
3. Share Interests, Passions, or Goals
List motivations, dreams, ambitions, and allow users to see that the account is special because of its values. This also is a win-win because people with similar interests will think the profile is perfect to follow and engage with.
4. Encourage Engagement and Contact
Allow users to build relationships by providing an email or phone in the bio. Or, easily encourage users to send messages through Instagram messenger by expressing interest in hearing from them.
Offer promotions, deals, or simple coffee chats. These allow the account to feel friendlier, open, and welcoming for new followers.
5. Be Strategic with the Name Field
Aside from the bio, there is a section with the “Name Field” where a business or personal page can add a little more about who they are and what they do. Whether by expressing the full name, providing a witty play on words, or sharing the account’s clever catchphrase. This field can show all the more the personality of the profile.
6. Pick a Business Field
Instagram uses algorithms and hashtags to link accounts in certain categories and having them show up in search. To show up in the right targeted searches, pick the business field that best relates to the profile.
7. Offer a Call to Action
It’s always great when a brand can empower its consumer through media. By expressing goals and making clear how a follower can help with them, the user experience will feel all the more inspiring, connective, and intuitive. Call to action also makes content timely and urgent.
8. Form a Unique Hashtag
Hashtags help users define certain searches but also establish a brand’s personal and social community. By sharing a unique, personalized hashtag that only followers will know about, users can feel like they belong to personal space in the platform. They can connect through more ways than just a follow and like.
9. Match the Profile Picture
Bios are meant to further elongate the story of the account — to match the social media visuals physically. By choosing a profile picture that matches the bio and vice versa, an account can remain consistent in its messaging and create a cohesive look, feel, and theme. Users will know exactly what they will be following.
10. Add Story Highlights
A brand can add story highlights which appear directly below the bio and profile picture and above the account’s photos. These highlights are the saved stories of the social profile that are now easily available no matter if it’s days after the story was posted. They show the moving and physical theme of the brand.
11. Craft Instagram Story Highlight Covers
For the stories to be clicked on, strategically place inviting covers as the hub where these stories are held. These “covers” are the circular pictures that show what the story highlights will be about. If they look interesting and full-of-life, the more likely people will check them out.
These Tricks for Instagram Bios Work Like Magic
It doesn’t take too much to spruce up an Instagram page, especially when the space is so small to work with. But there are apps out there that help do the trick.
Check out these cool tips and tidbits that make for good Instagram bios.
1. Symbols That Pop
Any great Instagram user should know that having visual components other pages don’t have is a plus. By utilizing sites like CoolSymbol, a user can easily copy and paste fun symbols from different categories into their bio. This will immediately elevate their look to appear modern, innovative, and up-to-date. Plus, symbols help show personality, something all pages need for follow requests.
2. Fonts That Add an Edge
Often, an Instagram account will have a font in their bio that doesn’t look like the rest. This simple fact already makes the page seem hip and chic — relevant and current, especially in 2023. People can use special sites that offer different unique, edgy fonts that make any bio seem futuristic.
3. Add Multiple Links
Adding a link into the Instagram bio is a simple copy and paste, but sometimes providing multiple links is best if the brand has many hubs for content. To do so, check out the handy site called Linktree. Sign into Instagram and sign up for a free plan. This way, a brand can direct followers to a blog, menu, contact page, etc.
4. Work the Space
Spaces allow bios to look professional, cohesive, and seamless. Through a site called Apps4Life, any account can create an aesthetically pleasing bio with page breaks. It also works for captions. The conversion steps are easy: paste the text into the app, click the “Convert” button, and then paste the result back onto Instagram.
130+ Instagram Bio Ideas That Will Turn Account Users into Followers
It’s important to note that certain brands have key target audiences, and Instagram bio ideas should range depending on each.
Therefore, when a target audience is established, that is when the intent behind the bio for Instagram can play out. Let’s take a look at these free possible categories and examples.
Cool Instagram Bios
Some Instagram accounts need to hit the millennial or GenZ audience groups, which means appearing cool, calm, and collected is key.
Here are some of the edgy and in-style bios accounts can use this 2023:
- She turned her can’t into can and her dreams into plans
- This one’s for the books
- What a long, strange trip it’s been….
- What are you looking at?
- What should I put here?
- Everyone else was taken, so this is me
- Currently on the Boulevard of Broken Dreams
- Wake me up when September ends
- Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
- “I wish there was a way to know you’re in the good old days before you’ve actually left them.”
Sometimes, the bio is all about the visuals. Words can only go so far, and some emojis can tell a better story.
Let’s dive into the emoji-based examples that make for good Instagram bios:
- 👇 Check out my latest blog post 👇
- Entrepreneur ➕ Globetrotter ➕ Motivational Speaker
- 😗 I do what I love and love what I do💕
- Traveller ✈️ Book Lover 📖 Obsessed with cheese 🧀.
- 99% ☕
- Made in GB 👑
- 👓colored glasses
- The world is 📚. Let’s read them together.
Some companies and social influencers want to have their Instagram bio stand out from the crowd and show originality, spunk, and energy to get followers.
Check out several options:
- Life is what happens to you while you scroll through Instagram
- Oh, you 😊
- I regret nothing you see in this feed
- Hi. Hello. Hola. Ola. Bonjour. Ciao. Guten Tag. Namaste. Salaam.
- This is me. Starting Over.
- Dreaming bigger than my imagination can handle
- Why don’t you join me?
- I’m sparkling like my water
- Life’s short. Eat the cake.
- Come this way…
The Very Punny
Certain plays on words allow users to see the quirkiness and the wit of a company — and makes them want to follow in case more smiles come their way!
Check out some potential puns:
- I like to stop and smell the rosé
- 🍩 worry 🐝 happy.
- Making history, I mean… Insta stories…
- Taco ‘Bout it!
- Naturally and artificially flavored.
- Seas the day!
- Artists don’t retire. They withdraw.
- Namast’ay (in bed).
- Alpaca my bags!
- My puns are always intended
The “Short and Sweet”
For the most part, the best practice is keeping Instagram bio ideas as short as possible. No one likes to spend too much time reading through social content online.
So here are quick but lasting impressions:
- Do more things that make you forget your phone
- Slowing Down.
- Let’s see if we can make you smile…
- Capturing everything, camera in hand
- Let’s freeze time, together
- So much to say… where do we begin?
- Looking at the man in the mirror
- Stay tuned!
- Follow for a follow!
No brand can go wrong with dry, sarcastic, or genuine humor. Check out the possible one-liners for funny bios that are bound to make any target audience chuckle.
- Sassy, classy with a touch of badassy
- Recovering ice cream addict
- Used to think I was a tad indecisive, but now I’m not quite sure
- Instagram bio currently loading
- Here to serve the cat overlords
- Recommended by 4 out of 5 people
- First I drink the coffee. Then I do the things.
- Error 400: Bio unavailable
- You miss 100% of the dogs you don’t pet
- I make ice cream disappear. What’s your superpower?
Finesse the Fitness Bio
As for fitness bios, the language should be hopeful, relatable, and not too superficial. After all, fitness is something most people need to feel empowered by!
Check out the bios that balance this well:
- It’ll work out!
- Here for the fitness… and for the pizza
- Hustle for more muscle!
- Work it! You deserve it.
- This is YOUR journey. And we’re here for that first step!
- Get on the right track.
- We like long walks on the treadmill
- Get fit without breaking a sweat
- Your body is YOUR temple
A Model for Models
Models and social influencers might want to take a different route by making their Instagram bio truly capture their personal brand as well as their physical look.
Check out these examples:
- Shh… I’m a Victoria’s Secret model. It’s such a big secret, not even Victoria knows
- No filter.
- See something you like?
- Model. Creator. Explorer.
- To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance
- Wanting to be someone else is a waste of who you are
- Sand in my toes and saltwater in my curls
- Turning my dreams into my vision and my vision into reality
- I turn pictures to liquid gold
The Strawberry Shortcake
Depending on the account, making a bio for Instagram that is sweet and good-hearted can make any user feel happiness and joy in following.
Keep the profile cute yet note-worthy with these bios:
- 🍂🍃Falling for you 🍂🍃
- Sprinkling kindness everywhere I go
- I believe in magic
- Let’s burn bright — make the sun jealous
- Sharing my happy thoughts
- Loving fiercely. Stopping along the way to take photos.
- In love with love and life
- Serving you a feast of vibrant grids.
- We are all made of bits and pieces of stars
- These are the days we live for.
Business Bio for the Professionals
Most of these aforementioned bios might miss the mark for a page that wants a clear-cut, professional approach. Here are examples of a business bio for accounts that want to keep their Instagram bio clear.
- DM for business inquiries
- Free shipping!
- 👇 FLASH SALE THIS WEEKEND ONLY – 50% 👇
- Click the link below to shop our Instagram!
- Fair trade. Sustainable. Ethical. Local.
- 🌎 Free international shipping
- Custom-made orders available! All consultations are free.
- Click the link for more!
For the Foodies
Who doesn’t love a good Instagram food account that just makes any user drool? Foodie profiles always make stomachs rumble, but here are some bios to ensure a quick “follow.”
- There’s no “we” in fries.
- Chasing eateries around the globe— wanna join?
- When life hands you lemons, give them back. You deserve chocolate.
- Life’s uncertain. Eat dessert first.
- The secret ingredient is always cheese.
- I followed my heart, and it led me to the fridge.
- Emotional eating… nothing wrong with it
- Globetrotter. Food-lover.
Inspirational Instagram Bios
Want to pull at users’ heartstrings? Want to leave an impression of warmth, love, meaning, and happiness?
Look no further than these wonderful Instagram bio ideas:
- Daydream believer.
- Life includes free trips around the sun.
- Just keep swimming.
- Simple but significant.
- I feel like making my dreams come true
- A messy bun and having fun
- Kindness cures
- Spreading smiles with love in the heart
Instagram Bio Quotes
There are so many funny, beautiful, or inspiring Instagram bio quotes out there. Truthfully, bios are the perfect places where their impact gets the spotlight. Share any of these quotes below to make a statement worth a user’s while.
- We have as many hours in the day as Beyoncé
- I look at words the way a dreamer looks at stars
- Oh, the places you’ll go!
- If life were predictable, it would cease to be life and be without flavor
- The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
- The only people for me are the mad ones — mad to live
- You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose
- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air
- Love the life you live. Live the life you love.
Best for Music and Media
Like modern and edgy bios, the best Instagram bio ideas for music and media profiles come from a creative, pure, and honest place. Fans of music accounts should feel the bio reflects the lyrics and tone of the music or media.
These Instagram bio examples can do the trick:
- I’m not actually online, it’s just an optical illusion
- I am getting a chance to tell my feelings to you.
- Get your guitar.
- Music is the feelings that we hear.
- [Insert original lyric lines]
- This isn’t over.
- New album. Out now.
Bios by Teachers and Educators
For those who teach, educate, inspire, the bio should be a glimpse into that life.
These examples of Instagram bio ideas help showcase this power:
- I teach what I preach
- A lifelong learner
- Science is real.
- Keep calm and always return my pencils
- The future of the world sits in classrooms
- We didn’t come this far to only come this far
- You have the potential to make beautiful things (Yes, you!)
- No time like the present to learn how NOT to repeat history
- How are you making a difference?
Prize-Worthy Bio Ideas and Real-Life Examples
It’s much easier to understand all these tidbits of advice for bio ideas if there are concrete social media samples to look through.
With so many successful Instagram bio examples available, there is a lot to learn from and feel inspired by.
Let’s check out some of the best Instagram bios that exist on the platform in 2023.
One of the most followed accounts on Instagram, Taylor Swift made her bio plain and simple yet personal to anyone who is her fan, which shows she is loyal to her target audience. By making her bio one of the lyrics to her latest songs, she can be clever while also, in a sense, private.
Playing on the well-known fact that all cats have a little sass to their love, friskies was able to make a bio that is both funny and true. Adding in the simple fact that money gets saved through every purchase – something every consumer wants to hear — makes the bio targeted and all the more effective.
Pop-Tarts could have made a bio that went on and on about ingredients or customer satisfaction but instead chose to go with dryness, gratification, and a call to action: to eat pop-tarts! The “thank you” at the end is a concise and amusing way to show target audiences the company’s personality yet customer-centric business model.
A perfect example of a bio that is digestible, memorable, and intriguing, bookmill’s account feels like a play on words. Potential followers will linger on the page, wondering what the bio possibly means, and will search through photos to find the answer.
The honesty and wit behind the words propel target audiences to feel right at home with the page.
By being open and relatable in their bio, this gym and fitness account doesn’t act perfect or project a reality onto consumers that isn’t fair. Admitting their love for pizza while also promoting “long walks on the treadmill,” this gym is able to build a relationship with users rather than walk a one-sided street.
When not too cheesy, puns are always a great way to show humor, wit, and light-hearted personality. Google was able to do just that with the play on “filtered” and “unfiltered,” keeping the theme and bio concise.
Users can immediately tell Google cuts right to the chase, with a little flavor, and this invites followers to join them in their honesty.
This account is an example of putting it all out there — the description, the goals, the call to action, and the personal hashtag. Going through the whole mill of great Instagram bio features, this brand still keeps it concise through bullet points and emojis. Talk about efficiency, transparency, and quality!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Good Bio for Instagram?
A good Instagram bio can convey the purpose, mission, and ambition of the brand or account while also allowing the potential follower to see where they fit into the equation. Providing a call to action, and a foundation for user engagement will make followers feel like their relationship with the account is personal and worthwhile.
Where is someone’s bio on Instagram?
An Instagram bio is located right below the circular profile picture and the name of the account. Below the bio is the option to add any story highlights that a user will want to share.
What is a link in bio?
A link in bio is when an account’s user copy-pastes a website link into the bio space. When the bio is saved after the copy and paste, any potential follower can go to that brand’s account and see a blue URL within the space. It’s free marketing!
Why is my link in bio not clickable?
The link in the Instagram bio is not clickable if it is either misspelled, flagged as spam on Instagram’s algorithm, includes explicit content or if the full URL is not provided. A quick solution to a correct but un-clickable link is using the app LinkTree where a user can sign up for a free plan and paste as many links as they want into Instagram.
Don’t Wait Any Longer — Impress Followers Today!
With so many available Instagram accounts, it’s important to establish a personal brand through every possible avenue.
Whether it’s through unique photos, powerful captions or funny Instagram bios, a social media profile should always reflect authentically and consistently the theme and tone of the business.
So, don’t be afraid to be bold and daring — and to leave a comment below about any advice, personal experience, or other Instagram bio ideas that may help a fellow account on the search for a perfect bio!