Lots of people turn to movies for entertainment, and why not? They’ve got it all: drama, romance, comedy, and a feel-good lesson thrown in, too. In all seriousness, the big screen and the fictional characters on it can teach audiences a lot about their faults and strengths as well as give them the push they need to go after their dreams. Across years and genres, films have been providing a new perspective on things and bringing individuals back to classic questions. Use these famous movie quotes to get reinspired or just to enjoy a belly laugh at home.
Table of Contents
- Oscar-Winning Movie Dialogue
- Best Sayings From Fictional Characters
- Great Movie Messages for Motivation
- Movie Inspiration to Help You Succeed
- Film Quotes to Make You Believe in Romance
- Quotes From Sports Films to Get You Pumped
- Feel-Good Movie Lines
- Comedic Quotes You Need on a Bad Day
- Favorite One-Liners From Animated Movies
Oscar-Winning Movie Quotes
Cinema fans know that there’s something magical about watching characters live out human experiences on the big screen. Even the most outlandish scenarios and plots can provide a lesson in virtues like respect, courage, and humility. Throughout the years, some of the greatest sayings of all time have come from award-winning films. Whether people have seen the film or not, they can still resonate with the message that the characters are trying to get across. Sit back at home, pop some popcorn, and enjoy these nuggets from some top films.
1. “There should never be any good reason for neglecting someone that you love.” – Cavalcade, 1933
2. “Life is tricky.” – The Life of Emile Zola, 1937
3. “Never be in a hurry. You’ll miss the best parts of life.” – Around the World in 80 Days, 1956
Most people recognize this movie title thanks to the 2004 remake starring Jackie Chan.
4. “If you cannot say what you mean, your majesty, you will never mean what you say. And a gentleman should always mean what he says.” – The Last Emperor, 1987
5. “I figure life’s a gift, and I don’t intend on wasting it. You don’t know what hand you’re gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes at you… To make each day count.” – Titanic, 1997
6. “Roads? Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.” – Back to the Future, 1985
This line is a friendly reminder that folks don’t need a time-traveling DeLorean to pave new paths or jump into the unknown.
7. “Out with the old, in with the new! That’s life!” – The Artist, 2011
8. “At some point, you’ve got to decide who you wanna be. Can’t let nobody make that decision for you.” – Moonlight, 2016
9. “Don’t admire people too much. They might disappoint you.” –Ordinary People, 1980
10. “A little chance encounter could be the one you’ve waited for.” – La La Land, 2016
There’s an audition scene in which Mia’s performance gets interrupted by the casting director’s phone call. This was based on a real-life experience that La La Land star Ryan Gosling had.
11. “Every man dies. Not every man really lives.” – Braveheart, 1995
Main character Wallace must have lived a lot because that forehead slash continually changes positions on his face.
Best Movie Quotes From Famous Fictional Characters
Some characters stay in the audience’s hearts forever. Think of Dorothy trying to get back home to Kansas, or Simba the lion’s realization that he must take his place as king. It doesn’t matter if it’s a person, an animal, or even an alien; some characters have the best movie quotes that deserve to be remembered.
12. “Some people can’t believe in themselves until someone else believes in them first.” – Sean Maguire, Good Will Hunting, 1997
13. “Oh yes, the past can hurt. But you can either run from it or learn from it.” – Rafiki, The Lion King, 1994
14. “Do, or do not. There is no ‘try’”. – Yoda, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, 1980
Another gem from Yoda comes from 2005’s Revenge of the Sith: “Train yourself to let go of everything that you fear to lose.”
15. “If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.” -Sirius Black, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, 2005
16. “We accept the love we think we deserve.” -Bill Anderson, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, 2012
When Sam (Emma Watson) reads Charlie’s Christmas card, it’s actually a personal note the director gave to her.
17. “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.” – Rhett Butler, Gone With the Wind, 1939
Hattie McDaniel, who played Mammy in the film, was the first African-American to win an Academy Award.
18. “You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.” – Eames, Inception, 2010
19. “The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.” – Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean, 2003
20. “Get busy living or get busy dying.” – Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption, 1994
This was Morgan Freeman’s favorite film to star in.
21. “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” – Ferris Bueller, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, 1986
22. “It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, 2002
Here, Dumbledore reassures Harry that although he possesses traits similar to the Dark Lord, it’s how he chooses to live that differentiates the two.
Great Movie Quotes for Motivation
Films of all genres can motivate individuals to try hard, be more forgiving, or finally do that thing they’ve been putting off for years. While sometimes folks get inspired by a mighty superhero, other times, the fire comes from a seemingly ordinary character.
23. “When you decide to be something, you can be it.” – Frank Costello, The Departed, 2006
24. “When you get a different vantage point, it changes your perspective. It allows you to see things you should have seen a long time ago.” – Neil Armstrong, First Man, 2018
The biopic was family-approved. Neil’s sons Mark and Rick said First Man most accurately portrayed their parents.
25. “Don’t let anyone ever make you feel like you don’t deserve what you want.” -Heath Ledger, 10 Things I Hate About You, 1999
This famous film was based on Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew and managed to become a teen classic of the 90s.
26. “I don’t regret the things I’ve done, but those I did not do”. – Rory Cochrane, Empire Records, 1995
27. “People can’t do something themselves, they wanna tell you you can’t do it. If you want something, go get it. Period.” – Will Smith, The Pursuit of Happyness, 2006
28. “After a while, you learn to ignore the names people call you and just trust who you are.” -Shrek, Shrek the Third, 2007
Antonio Banderas voices his character, Puss in Boots, in the English, Spanish, Mexican, Italian, and Japanese versions.
29. “Just because someone stumbles and loses their path, doesn’t mean they’re lost forever.” -James McAvoy, X-Men Days of Future Past, 2014
30. “Most of life’s burdens, with a little help, can become a gift.” -Jeff Bridges, Seventh Son, 2014
This film was a massive flop at the box office, but the quote stands up!
31. “I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay.” -Ian McKellen, The Hobbit, 2012
Some fans might have been disappointed that Aragorn wasn’t in The Hobbit. Viggo Mortensen was offered the role but turned it down because Aragorn wasn’t in the book.
32. “It’s what you do right now that makes a difference.” –Brian Van Holt, Black Hawk Down, 2001
33. “Great men are not born great, they grow great.” –Marlon Brando, The Godfather, 1972
Movie Quotes to Help You Succeed
Sometimes, success doesn’t come easy. Folks of all ages and backgrounds often find inspiration and that extra push of encouragement from the media, especially cinema. Below are some of the top film quotes about success that can change the way individuals think about going for their goals and managing the obstacles in their way.
34. “No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.” – Dead Poets Society, 1989
Fans can watch the TV version of the famous movie at home for 14 extra minutes of footage.
35. “Don’t think you are. Know you are.” – The Matrix, 1999
That initial action scene at the beginning of The Matrix took 6 months of stunt training and 4 days of shooting.
36. “What we do in life echoes in eternity.” – Gladiator, 2000
Joaquin Phoenix’s line, “Am I not merciful?” was ad-libbed and genuinely scared Connie Nielsen. Her genuine reaction shows in the scene.
37. “Why do we fall, sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up.” – Batman Begins, 2005
Christian Bale performed many of his own stunts in Batman Begins. However, he rarely got close to the Batmobile.
38. “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.” – The Lord of the Rings, 2001
39. “There should be no boundaries to human endeavor. We are all different. However, bad life may seem; there is always something you can do and succeed at. While there’s life, there is hope.” – The Theory of Everything, 2014
40. “There’s no such thing as too far. You understand? You push everything as far as you can. You push, and you push, and you push until it starts pushing back. And then you push some goddamn more.” – Two for the Money, 2005
41. “Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.” – The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, 2008
42. “The past is just a story we tell ourselves.” – Her, 2013
43. “The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest and most beautiful of all.” – Mulan, 1998
44. “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can’t achieve it.” – The Wolf of Wall Street, 2013
The scene in which Matthew McConaughey beats his chest was improvised. Leonardo DiCaprio’s reaction was genuine, and he was looking towards the director for approval. They later decided to keep it in the film.
Film Famous Movie Quotes to Make You Believe in Romance
After a long week, some people want nothing more than to snuggle on the couch with a pint of ice cream and a mushy romance. These types of stories are never going to get old because they appeal to a broader human experience. These famous movie quotes can help reinvigorate the romantic in even the hardest of hearts.
45. “So it’s not gonna be easy. It’s gonna be really hard. We’re gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, you and me, every day.” – The Notebook, 2004
46. “I could die right now, Clem. I’m just… happy. I’ve never felt that before. I’m just exactly where I want to be.” – Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, 2004
47. “Love is blind, Wade.” – Deadpool, 2016
Remember the taxi driver Dopinder? The character was named after a kid Ryan Reynolds knew in elementary school. The child died after a lightning strike, so the name was a tribute to him.
48. “It’s nice to be wanted.” – Incredibles 2, 2018
49. “To me, you are perfect.” – Love Actually, 2003
50. “You had me at hello.” – Jerry Maguire, 1996
Aimee Mann wrote “Wise Up” for Jerry Maguire, but writer/director Cameron Crowe kept it out of the theatrical release. Regretting that decision, he had it put into the soundtrack album.
51. “I wish I had done everything on Earth with you.” – The Great Gatsby, 2013
Stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire are friends in real life. Besides The Great Gatsby, they’ve also worked together in Don’s Plum and This Boy’s Life.
52. “Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.” – The Princess Bride, 1987
53. “I guess when you’re young, you just believe there’ll be many people…you’ll connect with. Later in life, you realize it only happens a few times.” – Before Sunset, 2004
54. “No, I like you very much. Just as you are.” – Bridget Jones’s Diary, 2001
55. “You will never age for me, nor fade, nor die.” – Shakespeare in Love, 1998
Quotes From Sports Films to Get You Pumped
Athletic or not, anybody can get motivated by a great sports film. These sayings serve as wonderful reminders to work hard, play as a team, and always stay humble. Check out some of the all-time best quotes from sports flicks.
56. “Juuuuuuuust a bit outside.” – Major League, 1989
Director David S. Ward is a Cleveland Indians fan in real life. He thought the movie might be the only way he’d see his favorite team win a few games.
57. “I don’t play defense.” – Space Jam, 1996
Pulp Fiction fans may spot the movie reference during the big game in Space Jam.
58. “A team isn’t a bunch of kids out to win. A team is something you belong to, something you feel, something you have to earn.” – The Mighty Ducks, 1992
59. “Protect yourself at all times.” – Million Dollar Baby, 2004
60. “Wax on. Wax off.” – The Karate Kid, 1984
Ralph Macchio’s character was just a high school student in The Karate Kid, but while filming, Macchio was 22.
61. “I don’t hate Balboa. I pity the fool.” – Rocky III, 1982
62. “Great moments are born from great opportunity.” – Miracle, 2004
63. “Can you live in that moment as best you can, with clear eyes, and love in your heart, with joy in your heart? If you can do that gentleman, then you’re perfect.” – Friday Night Lights, 2004
64. “There’s no crying in baseball!” –A League of Their Own, 1992
65. “Show me the money!” – Jerry Maguire, 1996
Jonathan Lipnicki’s bit about the human head weighing 8 pounds was a random fact he said while on set. The director liked it so much that he made it part of the script.
66. ”You’re killin’ me, Smalls.” – The Sandlot, 1993
When Squints kisses the lifeguard Wendy Peffercorn, the director, sternly told him to keep his tongue in his mouth.
Feel-Good Movie Quotes
Everyone has their all-time favorite movie, the one that always puts a smile on their face. They may even use a famous line from the film in daily conversation. Throughout the years, audiences have seen some incredible storylines and intriguing new characters. From romances to comedies to everything in between, check out these great movie quotes for a pop of inspiration or a good laugh.
67. “When I despair, I remember that all through history, the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it, always.” – Gandhi, 1982
There was trouble securing a studio to finance this film, although it ended up making over $127 million at the box office.
68. “I don’t want to survive. I want to live.” – Wall-E, 2008
69. “Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary.” – Dead Poets Society, 1989
70. “The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all.” – The Princess Diaries, 2001
71. “Nobody’s perfect.” – Some Like it Hot, 1959
72. “Remember those posters that said, ‘Today is the first day of the rest of your life’? Well, that’s true of every day but one…the day you die.” – American Beauty, 1999
73. “To call you stupid would be an insult to stupid people!” – A Fish Called Wanda, 1988
The fish that Kevin Kline eats in the film aren’t real fish, but Jell-O. Kline said he would be fine eating real fish, but the director denied his offer.
74. “I have to believe that when things are bad, I can change them.” – Cinderella Man, 2005
75. “There’s no place like home.” – Dorothy, The Wizard of Oz, 1939
76. “Just keep swimming.” – Finding Nemo, 2003
77. “You cannot live your life to please others. The choice must be yours.” – Alice in Wonderland, 2010
Tim Burton offered Anne Hathaway the role of Alice, but she turned it down because she didn’t want to be typecast. So, he gave her the role of the White Queen, which Hathaway loved.
Comedic Quotes You Need on a Bad Day
Sometimes a person needs a good belly laugh to get through the day. A comedy is a perfect remedy for such a mood, and some of the most famous movie lines come from funny films. Everyone loves those scenarios when someone makes a movie reference, and the whole room instantly got the joke. It’s those kinds of moments that unite people and help them turn their attitude around. Check out some one-liners from comedy movies below to start giggling.
78. “I am serious. And don’t call me Shirley.” – Airplane!, 1980
In the disco dance scene, the wires holding Ted up are visible to the audience.
79. “It’s just a flesh wound.” – Monty Python and the Holy Grail, 1975
The movie’s budget was plumped up with the help of Genesis, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd.
80. “She doesn’t even go here!” – Mean Girls, 2004
A few lines in Mean Girls were censored to maintain a PG-13 rating. For example, “made out with a hot dog” has initially been “masturbated with a hot dog.”
81. “I’m about to do to you what Limp Bizkit did to music in the late ’90s.” – Deadpool, 2016
82. “Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.” – The Godfather, 1972
Lenny Montana was star-struck by Marlon Brando and struggled to get through their first take together. The director liked this genuine nervousness, so he kept it in the final cut. An edited version was added later.
83. “I’ll have what she’s having.” – When Harry Met Sally, 1989
Fans can go to Katz’s Deli in New York and visit the same table that was in the orgasm scene. A plaque on the table says, “Where Harry met Sally…hope you have what she had!”
84. “It’s not a man-purse. It’s called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.” – The Hangover, 2009
85. “As if!” – Clueless, 1995
In one scene, Cher’s teacher writes a comment on her report card, but misspells the word “responsibility” as “responsibility.”
86. “My Mama says that alligators are ornery because they got all them teeth and no toothbrush.” – The Waterboy, 1998
Kathy Bates’ niece was a huge fan of Adam Sandler, so she urged Bates to accept the role of Mama Boucher.
87. “If I’m not back in five minutes, just wait longer.” – Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, 1994
88. “Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth!?” – Rush Hour, 1998
Favorite One-Liners From Animated Movies
There have been some awesome animated movies throughout the years. Audiences fall for these fictional characters and sometimes live vicariously through their chaotic, exciting lives. Some of these protagonists are cheerful and spunky, while others are shy and witty. Regardless, the one-liners they pipe out are hilarious (and sometimes full of truth and wisdom). Here are some great examples to brighten up the day.
89. “There is no greater gift than friendship.” – The Polar Express, 2004
90. “Hakuna matata!” – The Lion King, 1994
Jeremy Iron’s commitment to voicing Scar was so impressive that the animators developed the character’s appearance to include some of the actor’s physical traits.
91. “There is a saying: Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.” – Kung Fu Panda, 2008
92. “To infinity and beyond!” – Toy Story, 1995
Those who look closely will see that Sid’s backpack has got the words “Julie Macbarfle has cooties!” on it. This is a reference to camera manager Julie McDonald, who wanted her name in the film.
93. “You’re never too old to be young!” – Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, 1937
94. “I never look back, darling! It distracts me from the now.” – The Incredibles, 2004
95. “Wonderful things happen all the time. You simply have to know where to look and what to watch for.” – Cinderella, 1950
96. “Adventure is out there.” – Up, 2009
Up‘s villain is named Charles Muntz. This is a play on the name Charles Mintz, an executive at Universal Pictures who stole the production rights to Disney’s Oswald the Lucky Rabbit back in 1928.
97. “Today is a good day to try.” – The Hunchback of Notre Dame, 1996
98. “Giving up is for rookies.” – Hercules, 1997
99. “I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.”– Alice in Wonderland, 1951
This is the Disney picture with the most songs and animated characters.
What Are the Top 10 Movie Quotes?
Every individual will have their personal opinions about this, plus new films are coming out all the time. That said, here are a few one-liners that have stood the test of time.
- “No, I am your father.” – Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, 1980
- “Why so serious?” – The Dark Knight, 2008
- “I’ll make him an offer he can’t refuse.” – The Godfather, 1972
- “I’ll be back.” – The Terminator, 1984
- “You had me at hello.” – Jerry Maguire, 1996
- “The name’s Bond…James Bond.” – Dr. No, 1962
- “Here’s looking at you, kid,” – Casablanca, 1942
- “You’re gonna need a bigger boat.” – Jaws, 1975
- “You talkin’ to me?” – Taxi Driver, 1976
- “My mama always said, life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.” – Forrest Gump, 1994
- “May the Force be with you.” – Star Wars: A New Hope, 1977
What’s the Most Famous Movie Quote?
Again, this will be up for debate. However, there are some film quotes that most people can recognize even if they’ve never seen the corresponding movies. For example, “I see dead people” from The Sixth Sense is often quoted by individuals, both in scary and lighthearted situations. “May the Force be with you” is a classic line from the Star Wars series and gets thrown around a lot on May 4th for Star Wars Day.
What Was John Wayne’s Catchphrase?
John Wayne was well-known for starring in several blockbuster Westerns throughout the 50s, 60s, and 70s. His first leading role was in the 1930s The Big Trail, but his mainstream success came after 1939s Stagecoach. He had various one-liners that became cult classics, but one of his most oft-quoted phrases was “That’ll be the day.” The actor said this in the 1956 movie The Searchers.
How Do I Find a Movie Quote?
There are a few websites out there that focus on keeping a database of film quotes across all genres and decades. For instance, QuoDB is where individuals can find that one-liner that’s been on the tip of their tongues for days. They can type the quote or an approximation of it into the search bar to pull up the results. Also, IMDb often lists well-known statements from movies.
Why Do Guys Quote Movies?
Nearly everyone quotes a movie at some point. Films are a great pop culture reference point and can work as an ice breaker when meeting someone for the first time. Sometimes, a person may recite a line from a film and see if anyone reacts positively. This can be a great way to spot friends in a room.
Everyone Has a Favorite Movie Quote, What’s Yours?
Cinema has the power to inspire and motivate people, to bring them to tears, make them belly laugh, and to teach them an important life lesson. Some of them can do all of this in just under two hours! This list included some of the most famous quotes from movies, and 2023 may bring even more golden nuggets. Do you have a punchy one-liner that you regularly recite? Be sure to share it with us in the comments.