Instagram continues to be one of the hottest social media platforms out there. Users can expect the network to keep flourishing throughout the rest of 2020. It’s not just individuals who make good use of the app; business accounts are also popular.
Like Facebook and Twitter, this social network is where people get news and keep up with trends. They also stay connected to their friends and family this way.
Yet, sometimes people run into trolls or unpleasant users. For that reason, this guide will discuss how to block people on Instagram. It will also show folks how to unblock someone on Instagram.
Table of Contents
- How to Block Someone on IG Using a Mobile Device
- How to Unblock Someone on IG Using a Mobile Device
- How to Block Someone on IG Using a Desktop Computer
- How to Unblock Someone on IG Using a Desktop Computer
- Why Would We Block Someone on Instagram?
- How to Find Your Instagram Block List
- Is There Any Alternative to Block a Profile?
How to Block Someone on Instagram Using the Mobile App
For those who want to know how to block someone on Instagram, the best way is to use the app. The process is straightforward, although the icons may look different depending on if it’s an Android or iPhone.
- Start by opening Instagram on Android or iPhone.
- Next, individuals can go to the specific profile they would like to restrict. This person might be in their Instagram friends list. Alternatively, they can look for them in the search tool.
- When they find the account, they go to that user’s profile. In the top-right corner, there should be an icon of three dots. Tap it to pull up a pop-up menu.
- From here, tap on the ‘Block’ option to prevent them from being able to message or follow.
In just a few easy steps, that profile will be gone, and the user won’t have to worry about seeing their content in the newsfeed.
How to Unblock Someone on Instagram Using a Phone
Wondering how to unblock someone on Instagram without it being a big deal? It’s easier than one might think. Here are the instructions for iPhone and Android users. Keep in mind that the icons might be slightly different, but they’ll be in the same place.
- The first step is to open the Instagram app.
- The first thing people see when they log in is their newsfeed. At the bottom of the screen, there is a taskbar. Notice the profile icon to the right and tap on it.
- Now, the person will see their Instagram account page. In the top-right corner, there are three horizontal lines that they should click on.
- This will reveal a side menu with a ‘Settings’ option at the very bottom. Go to that.
- From there, they can click on ‘Privacy,’ which has a picture of a lock next to it.
- If they scroll down on this new menu, they will see a ‘Connections’ category. Under that, they should tap the option that says ‘Blocked Accounts.’
- There, they will find any profile that they restricted in the past. When they see the one they want, they should click the ‘Unblock’ button next to it.
- Clicking this option will prompt an Instagram pop-up. It will remind the user that unblocking someone allows them to start following that person again. If they’re okay with that, they can continue.
If he or she wants to undo the action later, they can. The steps for doing this are located in this guide, too. The other individual won’t know that someone unblocked them.
How to Block Someone on Instagram Using a Computer
Some people might not realize that they can block a user on Instagram with their PC. The steps are just as simple as on an Android. Individuals can use any Web browser they want, as long as it supports the IG webpage.
- Open up a Web browser and go to the Instagram website. Log in, if necessary.
- Next, find the person to cut off. Either use the newsfeed or the search bar.
- Once on that person’s profile page, look for the three dots icon at the top and click it.
- From the pop-up menu, click on ‘Block this user.’
Keep in mind that this action is reversible in case they want to unblock someone on Instagram. The next section will share some quick and easy steps for granting permission back to another user so they can follow.
How to Unblock Someone on Instagram on PC Easily
PC and Mac users can unblock on Instagram with a few simple steps. While the interface may look slightly different depending on the computer, the steps are the same. Follow along with these easy guidelines to unblock a profile.
- Like the previous step, go to Google or a Web browser to find the IG website.
- On PC, an individual has to type the restricted person’s IG handle into the search tool.
- From there, they can navigate to that person’s page. They need to click on the three horizontal dots at the top.
- On this pop-up menu, they will see the option to unblock the user. Clicking this will allow them to start following and messaging again.
- The website will ask the individual for confirmation before unblocking that user.
Keep in mind that users must click the confirmation box to save their changes. Otherwise, they won’t actually unblock the other profile.
Why Would We Block Someone on Instagram?
There are lots of reasons why someone may block a user on Instagram. It’s not usually the first thing people think about, but this function is important, especially in terms of safety.
- Privacy. This is one of the main reasons why an individual would have a restricted user list. In some cases, an unwanted stranger might comment on their posts. It’s easy to expect the best from everyone on Facebook, Twitter, and IG, but there are still many dangers.
- Harassment. Although this reason goes hand in hand with privacy, it is worth mentioning. Unfortunately, many predators turn to social media to get the best of people and find personal information. It’s easy to reveal locations, names, and other details through posts and comments. In 2020, it’s also common for kids and teens to engage in bullying on apps like Facebook, Twitter, and IG.
- Spam. It’s common to get news from social media. Still, no one wants spam and annoying marketing messages in their inbox. Users can find spammy content in comments and direct messages, which can prompt them to cut off certain people.
How to Find Your Instagram Block List
The best thing about cutting someone off on IG is that people stop seeing their content in their newsfeed. The downside is that it’s hard for them to find and unblock them. Here is the best way to find those users. This tip works on Android and iPhone.
- First, one has to log in to IG and go to their account.
- Next, they tap the three lines at the top of the page.
- From there, they can go to their settings menu and click on the privacy category.
- On this menu, they can click on ‘Blocked Accounts.’ They will have to scroll through the list to find the profile they want to unblock.
- If they’re on the application, they can click the ‘Unblock’ button next to that user’s name. On a desktop, they have to manually enter that username into the search tool, then unblock them that way.
Is There Any Alternative to Restrict a Profile?
Some might wonder, can you block someone on Instagram without actually restricting them? In a way, yes, this is possible. Here are a few explanations.
- One way people can limit others from seeing their Facebook or IG content is to unfollow them. Users are less likely to pay attention to someone who isn’t on their friends’ list.
- With all the online noise in 2020, some people want to mute others. This is possible, thanks to the mute option. Users can mute a person’s stories or posts.
- Others think it’s best to keep the account private rather than public. That way, there’s less pressure to restrict or unblock someone.
- Keep in mind that individuals may choose who replies to their stories or comments on their content. They can allow everyone, followers, or no one.
How Can You Tell If You Have Been Blocked on IG?
One of the best things about social media is that people can block others without that person knowing. Yet, if a user is wondering if someone blocked them, it’s a different story. There are a few ways to figure out if they restricted access.
- Do a profile search. If the account shows up, but no posts, then that person is cut off.
- Look for that user’s old comments. If they are still here, then they have an IG account, but they restrict access.
- If someone checks their DMs from another user and they’re gone, then they were restricted.
What Does My Profile Look Like to Someone I Blocked?
If someone is restricted and they try to go to that person’s profile, they will see the account, but no posts. They can still see their profile picture and follower stats. Yet, there won’t be any content to see.
Can a Person I Blocked Still Mention Me on IG?
No. he or she may try to mention the other user, but they won’t be able to. When they go to enter the individual’s username, it won’t show up.
Did They Block Me or Delete Their Account?
It may be that he or she deactivated their account. Try asking a friend to look up that profile. If they don’t see it, then the owner probably deactivated. However, if they do see it, then that user just restricted the other person. Another way to tell they blocked someone is if other people can still mention them or comment on their posts.
Stay Safe & Control Who Sees Your Content
IG continues to be one of the best platforms of 2020. Remember that privacy is crucial to people’s well-being. Rather than get annoyed that someone restricted access to another person, focus on all the fun sides.
IG is great for sharing photos, videos, news, and common interests. Just because a person is on someone else’s blocked list doesn’t mean they can’t enjoy the social network. Do you have experience with blocking (or unblocking) people on Instagram? Leave your tips in the comments below.