Instagram is one of the most popular social media networks in 2021. People like it best for its visual engagement. On any given day, millions of new photos appear on the platform. Everyone, no matter their interests, has their favorite profile. While scrolling, they might want to save a picture or two.
Like its parent company Facebook, the network lets users bookmark posts. Yet, there is no download option. This guide will reveal how to download Instagram photos to a phone or computer. That way, individuals can view those inspiring images when they need them.
Are You Allowed to Download Instagram Pictures?
Owners have certain rights over their images, such as:
- Stopping others from stealing or distributing the post
- Reporting people who copy or create new content based on the photo
- Giving consent or permission to use the image
Individuals must follow these rules, or it could lead to trouble. That said, Instagram doesn’t prohibit saving and reposting images. The only rule is that people must ask the owner for permission. When they do share the content, they must credit him or her. Stealing photos is a quick way to make enemies on the app.
How to Save Instagram Photos to Camera Roll
Some people want to download an image they posted earlier. Since most folks use the app, the picture will go to their phone’s camera roll.
Here’s how to save Instagram photos to a mobile device.
- Log in to the app and click the profile icon. Tap the three horizontal lines.
- A pop-up menu will appear. Click “Settings” and go to “Original Photos.”
- Toggle the blue switch, so it’s on. Now any uploaded Instagram images will go into the phone’s Camera Roll.
As long as this option is on, people can access their pictures without going into the app.
How to Download Instagram Photos – Copy URL Method
Two of the most basic Web commands are copy and paste. Most people know how to do this with text, but what about images? It turns out it’s a way to save an online photo, too.
Here’s how to download Instagram photos with the copy URL method.
- Open Instagram.
- Scroll or navigate to the desired image.
- In the top-right corner of the photo, there’s a “…” icon. Click it to reveal a pop-up menu.
- Tap the “Copy Link” option.
- Go to the Web browser. Tap and hold the URL field until a menu appears. Select “Paste and Go.”
- The Instagram website will appear. Press and hold the image and choose “Copy.”
- Depending on their device, people can go to something like a Notes tool.
- There, they can open a new note. Tap and hold to place the picture. Don’t forget to save.
Now it’s a stored image on the device. Individuals can access it whenever they want.
How to Download Pictures From Instagram: Page Source Method
Here’s another way to save Instagram photos. Individuals will need some coding knowledge for this strategy. This tip is good for people who want to save images from the website to their computer.
- Go to the Instagram website.
- Find the desired image and hit the “…” icon. It’s in the bottom-right corner.
- Choose “Go to post” from the pop-up menu.
- From there, right-click and select “View page source.” Or, press Ctrl + U.
- This pulls up a new webpage of code. Press Ctrl + F and type in “.jpg.”
- Highlight the first line of code that has “.jpg” in it. Then, press Ctrl + C to capture the link.
- Go to a new tab on the Web browser and paste the link.
- Now it’s possible to save the photo and put it in a document.
Feel free to place it in a Word doc or Paint.net. Or, save it to the desktop for later.
Download From Instagram With a Third-Party App
Several websites help people download images from Instagram. These downloader programs shouldn’t be the first course of action, though. Some of these providers aren’t reliable or will charge for their services.
Here are a few safe options:
#1 DownloadGram: Individuals can copy the image URL and paste it into DownloadGram. Then, they hit “download” and save it to their device.
#2 4K Stogram: People have to install this downloader program to their desktops. From there, they can enter an IG username or hashtag to subscribe. The app can download photos, videos, and stories.
#3 Save-o-gram: This program works just like a 4K Stogram.
#4 FastSave for Instagram: This smartphone app saves pictures and videos. Clients can view, filter, edit, and repost from the program.
Again, it’s best to read reviews of these services beforehand. If possible, try a different method before resorting to these.
How to Save Pictures From Instagram: Android
Android users have a couple of options if they want to download Instagram photos. They’ll need a third-party app for both strategies. Either one is fine, but the second program is best for saving many images. The programs below provide instructions on how to save pictures from Instagram.
Option #1 DownloadGram
The first step is to open a Web browser on the phone. Then, type in www.downloadgram.com.
In the meantime, individuals log in to their IG profile and follow these steps.
- Find the desired image.
- Tap the “…” icon and press “Copy Link.”
- Go back to the Web browser and paste the URL into the text box.
- Hit the “Download” button. When the process is complete, the image will be in the phone’s gallery.
Option #2 FastSave for Instagram
Android users can get this app for free from the Google Play Store. This is the best third-party option for saving many photos. It works much faster than option #1.
- Get the app from the Play Store.
- Launch the program and switch on the FastSave Service” feature. Tap the “Open Instagram” option.
- Go find the desired image and press the “…” icon above it.
- Select “Copy Link” from the menu. The app will download the picture and put it in the phone’s gallery.
How to Download Instagram Photos on PC
There are also different ways to do this on a computer. Here are two methods for how to download Instagram photos on PC. They are both third-party services, so keep that in mind. It may be best to try bookmarking the image or saving the URL first.
Option #1 DownloadGram
Just as people can access this program on Android, they can do it on PC.
The steps are similar, but here’s a run-down:
- Launch two Web browser tabs. First, go to the IG site. The second tab is for DownloadGram.
- On IG, users can go to the image they want and hit the “…” symbol.
- From the pop-up box, select “Go to post” to see the picture in a new tab.
- Copy the URL and paste it into DownloadGram. Hit the “Download” button to store it on the PC.
Option #2 Save-o-gram
This program works better for saving several photos at one time. The downside is that the program is only free for seven days. After that, people need to pay $9 to continue using the software.
- Go to www.save-o-gram.com and install the software.
- Then, type a username or hashtag into the text box.
- Individuals can save Instagram photos from the feed that appears. Highlight the desired ones and press the “Download selected photos” button. There’s also the option to save as a zip file.
Bookmarking Images on the IG App
Like Pinterest, the IG app has a bookmark feature. This lets people keep track of their favorite photos. It’s convenient because it stores all their inspiration in one place. The downside is that individuals can’t access these images outside the app.
Here’s how to save Instagram photos by bookmarking.
Keep in mind the interface is always changing, so these are the 2021 instructions.
- Log in to the app and find a favorite picture.
- Tap the bookmark symbol to the right of the image. It looks like a ribbon, and it turns blue when it’s pressed.
- To keep it in an organized folder, tap the “Save to Collection” option.
- If there isn’t currently a collection, a plus side will appear. Hit that to make a new gallery.
- Later, individuals can go to their IG profile and push the “Saved” symbol. It’s under the bio and has the same ribbon design.
- Once there, they can view, organize, or delete these images, videos, and stories.
The process works in much the same way on a computer. While it’s not like organizing pins on Pinterest, it’s convenient for IG content.
Screenshotting an IG Story
Sometimes, a person might be watching IG Stories and find one they love. As of 2020, Stories disappear after 24 hours, so they’re fleeting moments. If they want to keep that content, they need to screenshot it.
Here are the instructions for different devices.
- iPhone: For generations up to iPhone IX, simultaneously press and hold the Home and Lock button. For iPhone X and up, it’s the Home and Volume Up buttons.
- Android: These phones also require users to push the Home and Lock buttons at the same time. For newer models, they can swipe horizontally in a karate chop motion to screenshot.
- Google Phones: For first and second-generation Google Pixel phones, the process is the same. Push the Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneously.
Benefits of Saving to an IG Collection
Even if someone never thought of creating an IG collection, it’s worth considering. Some people may not even know about this option. It’s a great way to gather favorite posts and stories all in one spot.
Then, they can go back to this little database whenever they want to refer to it. The only thing to remember is that individuals must credit the original poster.
1. Easily Store User-Generated Content
User-generated content can be cool, as long as the owner grants permission. Otherwise, they’ll get angry if they see someone reposting their stuff. As long as an individual plays by the rules, everything should be fine.
Lots of brands keep these kinds of collections. It creates an attractive feed full of related posts from different users.
2. Keep Tabs on Rivals
Influencers must always know what the competition is up to. It helps to make a collection of rival stories, videos, and images. By saving the posts, entrepreneurs can see what others in their niche are doing. Plus, they can keep track of engagement metrics. This is also a good strategy for seeing which captions generate more comments. Don’t worry; the collection is private.
3. Make a Vision Board
Finally, take a cue from Pinterest and make a collection of #inspo. This is like an image gallery, only filled with IG posts. The focus of the ‘album’ will depend on the person. Some people collect fashion pictures while others bookmark recipe posts. Individuals can gather content from other accounts or hashtags.
Can I Save Other People’s IG Photos?
Yes, but there are rules. A person can’t take someone else’s images and repost them. They must ask for permission first. Then, that individual must credit the owner. Most social media platforms have copyright policies that protect users from theft.
How Do I Save Someone Else’s Photo From IG?
There are a few ways to do this. Remember, it depends on the device a person is using. Saving images is possible on a computer or phone.
- Individuals can screenshot the IG story video or picture
- They can copy the image URL and pop it into a Web browser
- This process also works with the page source code instead of the URL
- Some third-party apps make it easy to download and save pictures
Can You Tell If Someone Screenshots Your IG?
This answer changes from time to time. As with other social media platforms, Instagram is always switching up its policies. As of June 2021, people cannot see if someone screenshotted their IG Story.
A couple of years ago, the app tried notifying users when someone took a screenshot. There was some backlash, so that function no longer exists. Likewise, they can’t tell when someone screenshotted a video or photo.
How Do I Save Multiple Photos From IG To My Computer?
There are different ways to do this. It depends on how technologically savvy and patient the person is.
- One way is to copy the image’s URL link. This can take more time because individuals must do this manually for each picture.
- Another method is using a third-party app. DownloadGram is a popular choice, and probably the most reliable. The directions are in this guide.
Wrapping Up: The Ethics & Strategy Behind Saving IG Posts
It’s okay to admire someone’s IG posts. Lots of people find inspiring content on the platform, and that’s great. Most folks are aware that when they share something online, it’s no longer entirely theirs. Yet, there are privacy rules. If a person wants to download a photo from Instagram and repost it, they should ask for permission. For personal collections or vision boards, a screenshot or simple copy/paste is fine.