In the past, Instagram only included photos and videos. There was no other way to interact with the uploader unless they were using emojis. Today, fans leave a comment reacting to the content. They may even write their thoughts during a live session. Yet, this may not be so good for everyone. At times, people can be insulting or even annoying.
Wondering how to hide comments on Instagram live or even in posts? The solution is simple: just follow these steps in 2021. It will be a breeze.
Table of Contents
How to Hide Comments on Instagram Live
When streaming, some influencers like to interact with the audience. But some others prefer not to read what others have to say and just focus on the task at hand.
If that’s the case, read on these steps on hiding comments.
- Look for the Instagram icon and enter the account. Owners might have to log in to their profiles if they haven’t done so in the past.
- Go to the bottom of the screen. Here, IG shows different options for cameras. These include Normal, Boomerang, and other types of filters owners can apply when uploading videos or photos. Scroll around and find the option called “Live”.
- Start streaming with just a simple click.
- In the section below, users will see three dots next to a box where people can leave comments. This is when people can explore hiding comments opportunity.
- When clicking on those dots, the person streaming will be able to block all incoming texts. Yet, consider that nobody will be able to say anything about the video or the stories they view. Plus, the owner will lose the chance to see what others have already said about the Live.
All in all, the steps to hide comms on IG live are just a few. Once the user learns to do it, it’s almost impossible to forget it. But they should be aware that it’s not feasible to block just some remarks.
How to Hide Comments on Instagram Feed
Let’s imagine the owner posted content that got backlash. Hundreds of negative comments appeared in just minutes. Or maybe some friends from childhood decided to share embarrassing anecdotes from the past.
Learn how to hide comms with this guide.
- Enter the IG profile and look for the Settings.
- Then, there is a section called Privacy.
- Keep on going until finding “Comments”.
- Within this part of the website, there is a button that says, “Hide offensive comments”.
- Tap on it.
- There is also a manual filter for those who want to write down the terms they don’t want to accept.
- Plus, owners may decide to turn off this function for certain profiles and not for others.
Hide But Don’t Block a Person
Ever since 2019, users are now able to hide these texts from certain profiles. The best part is that they won’t even know about this, as the action does not trigger an alarm or alert. This is a good thing to do when protecting oneself from strangers. Or even from fans whose actions they don’t know.
The process is similar to the hiding comments on IG live.
- The first step is to locate the remark of the person to block.
- Tap on the three dots that appear in the right corner.
- There, the user finds an icon with an exclamation mark.
- A menu will pop up, and one of the options is to Restrict the user.
How to Turn Off Comments on Instagram?
An IG user might decide that this feature is more of a problem than is a benefit. They may also not find it useful to communicate with their audience. In any case, they can just do away with this privilege.
Here is some info on turning off comments on IG in a few minutes.
- Go to the IG profile and locate the post to block.
- In the right corner above the screen, the user may find 3 dots.
- This will enter the settings and open up a menu.
- One of the options available there is Turn off comments.
- It’s very easy to go back and change it afterward.
How to Send a Private Comment on IG?
This may seem like a contradiction, as comments are public. There is no way to make them visible for the owner only. Yet, there is a simple path to send an opinion or even just an emoji as a reaction to a photo or video.
So, this is how it’s done:
- Enter IG and scroll down the posts. Locate the one to react.
- Below the photo or video, there is an icon that looks like a paper plane. Click on it.
- An option will pop up with a search bar. There type the name of the user to communicate with.
- Tap on the desired name, and a checkmark will appear.
- Type the message or insert the icon to send.
- Tap “Send”, and it’s done.
Why Can’t I See My Own Comments on IG?
Well, there are a number of reasons for this. The first one is that IG blocked the owner of the account. If that is the case, they have nothing left to do but wait for this to be lifted. Another reason can be that the person left an offensive remark. Thus, the profile owner decided to flag them as spam.
But here are some other causes:
- The Internet connection is not stable. So, the app does not work as it should.
- The account has been used for spam.
- The owner was commenting and mentioned more than 5 people or used more than 30 hashtags in his stories.
- The owner has tried to post the same text in more than 5 posts. As a result, it can be considered spam and not appear on the feed for others to view.
What Happens When You Hide an Instagram Comment?
When a person hides a comment, it will not be visible by anyone. Only the owner and the writer are able to see it. There is only one way to identify this type of remark: it will be shaded in grey letters. Luckily, nobody gets any alert or notification. This is a great function that ensures people don’t get angry or triggered by this process in 2021.
Can You Watch Instagram Live Without Comments?
Yes, this is possible. In any case, the owner will have to disable that function. As stated above, the person has to start streaming. Then, they will see an option where they might block all the incoming texts from their fans. Of course, nobody will be able to post anything as long as the video is running. Followers can only “like” the content they are watching.
Can You Anonymously Watch an Instagram Live?
No, today, this is not allowed by Instagram. To watch a streaming video, the person needs to enter their account and identify themselves. In this way, the owner will be able to see who is watching their content.
How Long Does Comment Block Last on Instagram?
The block lasts 48 hours. Yet, it depends on the offense and the person that decides it behind IG. For example, people who have been blocked for the first time might be unable to write a text for only 2 hours.
How Do I Fix My Comment Block on Instagram?
Once a person gets an “action blocked” alert, there are few things to do.
- Instagram can punish users for doing incorrect things. One of them is spam.
- If a profile owner decides the interaction is not appropriate, they might notify IG, and they will take action.
- Now, after getting blocked, there is not much to do. Only waiting will do the charm.
- If there’s some kind of mistake, they can try to appeal and send a report.
Block Off Comments and Gain Control Over Your Social Media
All in all, these new features give influencers more control over their actions on the website in 2021. At times, they just want to show something live without interacting with the audience commenting. On other occasions, they would like to restrict offensive or weird comments from followers they don’t know.
Luckily, this is possible today with some simple steps. And users can do this using their mobile phones or laptops. What about you? Have you ever blocked comments on your Instagram live sessions?