Heard the news of Facebook’s big buyout of Instagram? The multi-billion dollar company became an even bigger goliath of social media compared to Twitter and others. They have integrated and connected many of the services and some of the policy between the two sites. They want to increase usability for all their mutual users.
However, this policy change might not appeal to some of the mutual users. This is especially so regarding their privacy and the different pools of followers versus friends. Facebook recognizes this. It has made it easy to learn how to unlink Instagram from Facebook in 2021.
Table of Contents
How to Unlink Instagram from Facebook
Quickly disconnect Instagram and Facebook through both of the apps concerned in the process.
The following steps will help in unlinking IG from FB:
- Using any mobile device, search for the Instagram app.
- Go to the profile page. In the top right-hand corner of the screen, there is an icon with three horizontal lines. Select these.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the menu to find and tap Settings.
- Inside the Settings option, there is another option labeled Account. Tap it.
- Linked Accounts is a button in the Account tab. Facebook is one of these accounts, and the name of the profile has a highlight over it.
- Tap the Facebook option, and one of the next menus displays Unlink Account.
- After selecting this, press Yes, I’m Sure to complete the process.
How to Disconnect Instagram from Facebook via Facebook
It is always better to have more than one option when trying to accomplish any goal. When trying to learn how to disconnect Instagram from Facebook, it might be easier for some people to use the Facebook app.
- Search for and open a Facebook website in a browser on any computer or mobile device.
- In the upper-right hand corner, click on the down arrow to open up a menu and find Settings. Click on Settings.
- The following list shows up on the left-hand side of the screen. Find Apps and Websites.
- Locate and select the Instagram icon.
- At the bottom of the next screen, select the option to Remove App.
- A pop-up window appears with information regarding the consequences of the choice. Complete the process by clicking Remove.
Pros of Linking Instagram and Facebook
Some people read this article, knowing already precisely what they need to do and why. However, others aren’t sure why it is a good idea to link these networks. It is essential to know that there are pros that support either action.
- Audience Growth: For users trying to grow their Instagram audience, make their Instagram usernames available to the people that are friends on Facebook.
- Business Page: If an Instagram user could benefit from creating an Instagram business page, it is worth it to keep the Instagram and Facebook accounts together. If they learn how to unlink Facebook from Instagram, it is no longer as feasible to create a business account.
- Cross-Post: Maintaining the link between the two apps enables an Instagram user to simultaneously cross-post their picture or video up on Instagram. This way, both friends and followers can view the post when the work was only to generate one post.
Pros of Unlinking IG from FB
For each pro to keep the two accounts linked to each other, there is also a pro to disconnect them. The most significant factor to consider is which of these are applicable to the accounts at hand. Some people won’t make a difference, while others want to keep their brand separate from themselves, or one account invisible from the audience of the other profile. Consider all of these before learning how to disconnect Facebook from Instagram.
- Security Breaches: Facebook, and other social media apps like Twitter, have been shown through the Cambridge Analytica scandal and other massive security breaches that they mishandle account security.
- Disconnecting Friends: Unlinking the two stops it from suggesting the Insta account to Facebook friends.
- Disables Cross-Posting: It makes it more difficult to share across the platforms, keeping from accidentally cross-posting sensitive material and protecting privacy.
Why Can’t I Unlink My Facebook From Instagram?
Unlinking Facebook from Instagram makes it more challenging to cross-post on the two sites. It also keeps the two audiences separated from each other. However, since they are both owned by Facebook, the company has intertwined the two.
What Happens If I Disconnect My IG From Facebook?
When learning how to do it, it is important to realize what exactly is going to happen. Often, a pop-up box will appear warning that the action makes it more difficult to access Instagram if the account information is forgotten. It makes it so that it isn’t possible to cross-post between the two sites and keeps friends and followers from seeing each other.
How Do I Change the Facebook Account Linked to My Instagram?
Sometimes, as brands develop or businesses change hands and make the news, it becomes necessary to change the accounts associated with each other.
To do this:
- Open up the Instagram app.
- Tap the icon represented by three horizontal lines.
- Tap the gear icon to access Settings.
- Select Account and then find and select Linked Accounts.
- Tap Facebook to link an account or change the previously linked account.
Can I Reconnect My Instagram and Facebook Accounts?
Yes, even after learning unlinking methods, and deciding to split up those accounts, it is still possible to reverse that.
- Go back into the Settings of either the Facebook or Instagram account.
- Head to Linked Accounts.
- Enter the account information back in, and the profiles will be linked once again.
Linked or Unlinked?
As easy as it is to disconnect the accounts, it is just as smooth to link them back up again. Whether or not it is the best decision at the time, it is good to know that this decision doesn’t last forever.
Did you decide to link or disconnect? Was this article helpful to you? Let us know by commenting below!