Instagram stories are designed to vanish after 24 hours, just like on Facebook and other social media. This can be frustrating to a user who prefers to leave their uploads for a longer duration.
Fortunately, there are methods by which social media lovers can download Instagram stories for an extended keep.
This article details some of these techniques. This way, surfers no longer have to witness their favorite photos and videos get cut short.
Table of Contents
How to Download Instagram Stories to Phone Storage
This method is the most common option to retain images and clips off Instagram in 2021. It is available on both Android and iOS devices. Here, all that’s required is that an account owner logs in to the app. Then, locate the preferred story, and follow prompted instructions.
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to download Instagram stories to phone storage:
- Log in to the account on Instagram with username and password. Then, click on the stories icon.
- Navigate to preferred upload on stories. Then, tap three dots at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Tap the Save option. For android devices, this will appear as Save Photo/Video.
- (For iOS devices only) Tap Save Story to keep the entire list of uploads instead of a single photo or video.
How to Keep Stories as Archives on the Instagram App
The process of how to save Instagram stories through archives is a simple one. “Archives” is a feature that acts as a backup for uploads on the social media app. To access it, account owners have to enable the option in profile settings.
Here’s how to activate Instagram archives:
- Navigate to the profile page and click on the Settings icon at the top of the screen.
- Tap on Privacy.
- Click on Story settings.
- Activate Save to Archive.
Once completed, stories will be automatically added to archives.
To access Instagram them:
- Tap three bars located at the top right corner of the profile page
- Click on Archive under the pop-up list to view saved stories.
This option is perfect for those who prefer not to download story photos and videos to their phone storage. Archives help to keep uploads without leaving them to prying eyes that may decide to snoop through their phone’s gallery.
All downloads remain on the app, and any device logged in to the account can access them. However, the downside is that a person cannot see saved pictures and videos offline.
How to Save Stories to Instagram ‘Highlights’
Highlights is another simple way to download Instagram stories. It is mainly suitable for persons who prefer to display their uploads to the public permanently. Highlights appear on a user’s profile page. The exact location is between the bio (account owner’s description) and regular Instagram posts.
How is it activated? The steps are detailed below:
- Click on the profile picture to open stories.
- Tap the highlight icon (heart emoji placed in a broken circle).
- Enter a name for a highlight.
- Click Add to complete the process.
To access highlights:
- Open the app and navigate to the account profile page.
- Locate a preferred highlight with the saved name.
- Click on the icon to view photos or videos.
To add vanished images and videos to highlights:
- Click on the ‘plus’ button in the story section, and a list of recent posts will appear on the screen.
- Tap preferred photos and videos, and then follow the steps above to add them highlights.
To further download Instagram highlights to mobile storage, open a post, and click the download icon.
How to Share a Story as a Post to Save Permanently
Often, content shared in stories appears so good that a person decides to keep it permanently. Highlights and ordinary Instagram posts make this possible. However, posts are preferable when an individual is interested in displaying uploads to viewers rather than retain it alone.
Here’s how to share as posts on Instagram:
- Click on the profile picture to open stories.
- Tap three dots located at the bottom of favorite pictures and videos.
- Click ‘Share as a post …’ from the pop-up options
- Edit images to taste, include a caption and click Share.
How to Save Instagram Stories With Screen Recording
There are other options available for social media lovers on how to save Instagram stories without using the app. This is possible through mobile-features that allow phone owners to capture photos and videos on their screens and third-party apps.
The method of screen record depends highly on the operating system of a device. So, the steps to download stories with screen recording for iOS and Android devices are separately listed below:
iPhone owners with iOS 11 and above have access to the ‘screen record’ feature on their mobiles. This offers the benefit of downloading Instagram videos at will. Here’s how to enable the iPhone screen-record function to download story videos.
- Access Control Center on iPhone and click on Customize Controls.
- Locate Screen Recording and tap on the plus symbol (+) next to it.
- Swipe up from the bottom part of the screen to confirm the record button.
- Next, open up the Instagram app and navigate to favorite stories.
- Swipe up once again and click on the capture button to begin recording.
- Click on the button a second time to end the recording.
The screenshot feature is more suitable to download pictures on iPhones.
- Open favorite story pictures.
- Hold the volume-up button and side-up button at the same time.
- Release buttons instantly to capture the screen.
Unlike iOS devices, Android phones do not have the ‘screen-record’ feature built into them. Owners need third-party apps to activate this feature. However, images can be downloaded through screenshots.
To utilize external apps to screen-record videos on Android devices:
- Visit the Google Play store and download a screen recorder.
- Launch Instagram and make all necessary configurations.
- Enable the record feature and access the app.
- Open favorite videos and activate the external application to record.
To use the screenshot feature to download images on Android phones:
- Open the preferred photo on stories.
- Hold the volume volume-down and power button at the same time.
- Release instantly to capture pictures.
The steps detailed above work to activate the screenshot function on most Android devices. However, operators can visit their phone manufacturer’s website if they do not apply.
How to Download Another User’s Instagram Story
The process of how to save someone else’s Instagram story is very similar to the use of inbuilt phone features and external apps. iPhone owners can use their mobile screenshot or screen-record features for pictures and videos, respectively. Android users have to stick with third-party apps, as usual. There are also options available for individuals who are not using social media.
Best Instagram Story Saver Apps
An Instagram story saver is otherwise known as a “story downloader”. There are several types available, and their primary function is to help people download photos and videos that are not from their personal Instagram profiles. This includes stories as well.
Story savers are available as direct mobile and web applications. Hence, account owners can take advantage of them on different devices. Below is a list of recommended options:
StoriesIG is a suitable app to save Instagram stories on desktops. It works as a Chrome extension and allows to view and download anonymously. This way, an individual can open and download images and videos from another account without notifying the account owner.
StorySaver is an application that offers Android device owners the opportunity to download Instagram story video easily. All users need to log in to the third-party app with their username and password. Then, the main page with uploads from the account’s followers will appear. The person can then download preferred pictures and clips directly.
Weynstag is similar to StoriesIG. It also allows individuals to download stories anonymously. To use it, a person only needs to visit its website address and input the username or URL of the preferred story. Afterward, the user can click the download icon to save pictures or videos.
What of Live Instagram Stories?
In-built features and third-party apps work the same way to download live Instagram posts, as in pre-recorded ones. An iPhone owner can activate the screen-record feature to capture Instagram Live videos. An Android device owner, on the other hand, will need to use story downloader or screen-recorder apps.
Can You Save Someone’s Instagram Story Without Them Knowing?
Yes. A person can view and download an Instagram story without notifying the account owner. This privilege is possible through a story downloader or other third-party apps that do not require a sign in. Typically, all that is needed is a username search for the preferred account. Afterward, the uploads will be available for direct downloading.
Can You Screen Record Someone’s Instagram Story Without Them Knowing?
Instagram allows account owners to hold on to stories from personal profiles. Options such as direct downloads, archives, highlights, and post shares make this possible. However, surfers cannot directly retain uploads from someone else’s accounts due to restrictions on privacy.
Fortunately, inbuilt device features and third-party apps can overcome this policy. To download a favorite photo or video, all a person needs to do is pick a method from the list above, and it’s ‘done.’
Are there other insights, techniques or challenges on how to save an Instagram story? Kindly indicate in the comment section below.