For those who are curious about the online world, these Internet and social media statistics and facts will provide some insight. The era of social media and constant digital communication means that society is more connected than ever before. Online networks are determining how people get in touch and share information.
Businesses and entrepreneurs, as well as online influencers, can use these interesting stats to boost their marketing efforts and profits. In fact, this data will be fascinating to anyone who wants to learn more about the online ecosystem, including how individuals get in touch and how companies make sales.
Table of Contents
- General Internet Usage Stats
- Internet Traffic Stats
- Domain Name Stats
- Web Hosting / Website Stats and Facts
- Social Media Statistics
- E-Commerce Conversion Statistics
- Mobile Internet Statistics and Facts
- Instagram Statistics
- YouTube Statistics
- Facebook Statistics
- Twitter Statistics
- Snapchat Statistics
- Pinterest Statistics
- LinkedIn Statistics
- Most Effective Digital Marketing Techniques
- ROI Generated by Selected Digital Marketing Channels
- The Evolution of Internet Culture
Online World Report: Social Media Stats Everyone Should Know [Infographic]
These social media stats will be useful to companies that are trying to improve their marketing as well as individuals who want a greater online influence. E-commerce and online publications are some of the best ways to make a difference in today’s digital society. Check out more intriguing tidbits from the infographic below.
It can seem like everyone, and their mother is online these days. In fact, that’s not too far from the truth. Online communications and general Internet usage continues to grow and spans across the entire globe. There are over seven billion people on this planet, and over four million of them have access to the World Wide Web.
While different populations vary in how often they connect to the Internet, there are billions of individuals online at any given time. One area that is rapidly growing is the online course market. As more entrepreneurs and organizations offer online tutorials and classes, they are continuing to see great earnings. Some might think that email is dying, especially since platforms like Slack now exist. Yet, the number of emails sent went up by over 10 billion between 2017 and 2018.
Here Are Some More Fascinating Insights into the Global Population’s Internet Usage:
- There are about 4,949,868,338 people worldwide with Internet access (63.2% of the population).
- Online courses earned $101B so far this year.
- The past 18 years have seen an increase in Internet usage by over 1,000%.
- 55% of Asia’s population uses the Internet, that’s over 4.3B people.
- America alone is responsible for 3,138,420 gigabytes of Internet traffic per minute.
- 85% of people in Europe go online daily.
- 63% of the worldwide population is online.
- Internet usage in the Middle East has increased by nearly 5,000% in the last 10 years.
- 95% of Americans have Internet access.
- The number of emails in 2023 is expected to be over 347B.
- There are 370.7M registered domain names worldwide.
- WordPress accounts for 35% of all websites, which equals to 455M.
Internet Traffic Stats 2023
The way that people are accessing the World Wide Web is changing, too. It used to be that individuals needed a desktop computer to go online. Then the laptop was introduced, and today, there are tablets and smartphones. These days, a person can go online with a simple tap on their watch.
As the years go on, the world is bound to see new advancements in how people access social networks. As a matter of fact, some of the most-visited websites last year included social platforms. The top 10 most popular sites were: Google, YouTube, Facebook, Reddit, Wikipedia, Instagram, Ebay, Xvideos, Yahoo, Amazon. In addition, blogs aren’t showing many signs of slowing down. Instead, there are just more ways to blog now, such as Blogger and Tumblr.
Here Are Some More Figures Related to Internet Traffic:
- Last year saw a 2% increase in mobile Internet traffic, bring it to a total of 52.5%.
- Only 0.7% of web traffic came from mobile devices in 2009.
- Over 63.54% of people who surf the Web do so using the Google Chrome browser.
- Safari is used by nearly 19.37% of people who are online.
- Just under 3.65% of folks on the Internet use the Firefox Web browser.
- A webpage loading time between one and three seconds yields a 32% chance that the visitor will click out.
- Blogger continues to be the most-used site for blogs, with 57.09M monthly users.
- Every year, people around the world visit over 1.8 billion websites.
- Facebook was the third-most-popular website to visit last year.
- Google says that webpages shouldn’t take more than three seconds to load.
- Pages that take more than 10 seconds to load result in a 123% chance of the person leaving.
- Over 6% of bloggers use common blog sites such as Tumblr.
- Research proves that every second a page takes to load, the visitor is likely to exit the page.
- Spotify streams 750,000 songs per minute.
- Ten years ago, less than 1% of all Internet connections were made via mobile.
- The average page loading time in the U.S. is 15 seconds.
- The most popular website to visit last year was Google, followed by YouTube.
- Women make up the majority of bloggers.
Domain Name Stats 2023
Domain names continue to grow and experience an average increase of 3% each year. Between the second and third quarters of 2023, the number of registered domain names went up by 0.6%.
Here Are a Few More Insights to Look At:
- Just under 3% of domain names use the .net extension.
- Last year, there were 370.7M registered domain names.
- Over 35% of domain names used the .com extension.
Web Hosting/Website Stats and Facts 2023
Web hosting refers to a service that allows individuals and businesses to set up a website or page. A common example of this would be WordPress, which people use for blogs and company sites. This practice continues to be prominent in 2023, and there are almost two billion websites across the world.
Check out More Stats and Figures Below:
- The grand total of websites in the world is about 6B.
- Briton Tim Berners-Lee, a physicist, published the first website on August 6, 1991.
- China has a search engine similar to Google, named Baidu, and it is the #4 most-visited site in the world.
- Facebook ranks #3 in terms of most-visited sites.
- Forbes and The New York Times use WordPress to manage their websites.
- Humans make up just 62.8% of the global Internet traffic while everything else comes from bots.
- More than 90,000 websites are hacked every single day.
- The most hacked CMS is WordPress.
- The most visited website is Google, not surprisingly.
- WordPress is the most popular CMS (content management system) in the world.
- YouTube is the second-most-visited website around the world.
Social Media Statistics
The average person has seven social media profiles. The most popular social networks are Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Snapchat. Younger demographics are most likely to have multiple social accounts.
Check out More Social Media Statistics Below:
- 2022 is expected to see over 6B active users on social media.
- Back in 2010, less than a billion people were using social platforms.
- Experts predict that 7.5B individual users will be on social media this year.
- Facebook has over 2.701B active users.
- Last year, over 2.6B unique users utilized social networks worldwide.
- LinkedIn is most popular with individuals ages 25 to 34.
- LinkedIn is the fourth-most-popular social network with 310 million active users.
- Messenger boasts 2B active users.
- People ages 55 and older are most likely to use Facebook.
- Pinterest is most likely to attract people aged 25 to 34.
- SnapChat is the most-used platform among ages 18 to 24.
- SnapChat has 433M active users.
- The now extinct Vine was most loved by the 18 to 24 age group.
- There are over one billion active users on Instagram.
- Twitter sees 353M active users.
Remember MySpace? Some 50.6 million people used it. Compare that to the 2.7 billion people on Facebook.
Here are more numbers on website usage:
- Airbnb has 150 million users.
- Instagram has 1.1 billion.
- LinkedIn sees 310M.
- Pinterest boasts 442M.
- 90M people use Flickr.
Most Popular Social Networks Worldwide
These stats are ranked by the number of active users in billions and reflect the data as of January 2023.
- Facebook comes out on top with nearly 2.740B users.
- YouTube is #2 with 2.291B.
- Instagram has hit the one billion user mark.
- Over a 1.3B people use Facebook Messenger.
- Reddit and Twitter both have 783 million folks on it.
- WhatsApp has 2B.
- There are 1.2B people using WeChat.
- TikTok is still popular, with 689M people using it.
E-Commerce Conversion Statistics 2023
E-commerce is showing no signs of slowing down. Actually, if a business isn’t online these days, then they are probably losing out on some serious money. The majority of consumers want to be able to contact a company online whenever they need to. It used to be that an enterprise would have a website, but now they have their own social media profiles as well.
Think about big brands like Coca-Cola and Wendy’s. They are always chatting away on Facebook and Twitter. Plus, advertisements on social media allow for an even greater revenue stream.
Check out Some More Findings Below:
- Advertisers spent $74B on social media ads in 2018.
- 80% of Americans say that shipping fees are the primary factor in deciding to make a purchase.
- 87% of Americans say the price is the most important factor in deciding where to shop online.
- Fifty-six cents of every dollar spent in a store was influenced by an online interaction or ad.
- In 2022, e-commerce will be responsible for $5 trillion in sales.
- Less than 1% of the companies on the Fortune 500 list engage with customers on social media.
- Men spend 28% more via Internet shopping than women.
- 95% of Americans shop online at least once per year.
- Of all the businesses online, only 22% are happy with their conversion rates.
- One dollar of every $92 spent on generating Web traffic is spent on customer conversion.
- Over 78% of customers who complain to a company online expect an answer within an hour.
- Ranking #1 on Google will give companies a 31% CTR on mobile and a 34% CTR on desktop.
- 71% of American shoppers say that available discounts are most crucial when deciding where to shop.
- Social media advertising earned about $8.3B in 2015.
- The average person spends 10 hours shopping online per week.
- The majority of consumers who talk about brands online don’t follow the stores’ social media accounts.
- 35% of shoppers say they are willing to pay for delivery and shipping.
Google reigns supreme when it comes to search engines. Last year, the top searches included: “Amazon”, “Translate”, “Netflix”, “Coronavirus”, “Restaurants”, “SpeedTest”, “Cricbuzz”, “Ikea”, “Weather”, “News”.
Here Are Some Other Search Engine Stats:
- There are 2 trillion Google searches made per year.
- Google takes up over 62% of online search engines.
- On mobile devices, Google still makes up the majority of the market with 65%.
What kind of online content gets the most views? Video is one of the most popular ways to get a message across, followed by social media updates and blogs. Email newsletters are still hot, too.
- Over three billion images get shared every day.
- Social media content is the most successful in terms of marketing.
- Video accounts for about 75% of the total online traffic generated.
- WordPress publishes 70 million blog posts each month.
Social Video Statistics
It’s easy to see that video is one of the most important ways to share content online. Over half of consumers would like to see more video content from marketers, with Latin American having the highest demand in the world.
- Each day American adults spend an average of 1 hour and 16 minutes watching videos online.
- Facebook and SnapChat get about 8B video views every day.
- 55% of people watch online videos every single day.
- 78% of people watch videos online each week.
- There are about 175 million Americans watching video content on the Internet.
- The video makes up about three-quarters of all online traffic.
Mobile Internet Statistics & Facts 2023
In just a couple of years, mobile e-commerce is expected to make up over 67% of all e-commerce earnings. It is easier than ever to make a purchase on a smartphone or tablet or even an Apple watch. Interestingly, people are likely to spend more money if they make a purchase via a tablet than a smartphone.
In addition, even though more people access the Internet on mobile devices, engagement is higher when using a desktop computer (60% compared to 40%). However, engagement on mobile apps is higher than on a mobile webpage.
More Facts and Figures Are Below:
- Today, over 70% of people on mobile access the Internet via their device.
- Last year there were over 3.7B people accessing the Internet via mobile around the world.
- E-commerce from mobile devices accounted for $4 trillion in 2023.
- Around 400 million smartphone owners utilize an ad-blocker.
- 82% of people use their smartphone to check out a store before they visit it in person.
- In China, about 75% of online orders are made via a mobile device.
- Mobile was 70.4% of the e-commerce market in 2023 and 72.9% in 2023.
- More than half of all Internet traffic is done on a mobile device such as a smartphone.
- 90% of the mobile devices that have ad-blockers reside in Asia.
- 98% of Internet-goers in China go online with a mobile device.
- Of all the time spent on a mobile device, about 90% of it is spent on apps.
- 70% of people say they don’t like mobile ads.
- 72% of all digital ad money is spent on mobile ads.
- The average smartphone e-commerce order is around $86.47.
- The average tablet e-commerce order is about $96.88.
- This year, the U.S. is expected to bring in over $693B in mobile e-commerce revenue.
Instagram is one of the most well-known social platforms out there. It used to be heavy on the images, and it still is, but it incorporates video, TV, ads, and text, too. The network sees 800 million active members every month. Each day, 95 million photos are uploaded, making this a place for sharing pictures and visual content. The top food pictures on IG are Pizza, Sushi, Steak.
Check out More About Instagram Below:
- There are over 1.1M monthly active users on IG.
- 90% percent of them are under the age of 35.
- More than 95M photos are added to the platform each day.
- Instagram is a favorite among teens, with 24% citing it as their top social network.
- Over 4.2B likes are given on Instagram daily.
- The average Instagram user spends 27 minutes a day using the app.
- 37% of Americans are on IG.
- To date, over 50B images have been shared on the site.
- Within the first 24 hours of IG Stories, over 5M stories were shared.
Instagram History Statistics
It’s hard to believe that IG has been around for almost a decade. Still, it continues to evolve. Check out some facts and stats about the network below.
- IG launched on October 6, 2010.
- Hashtag functionality was added to IG in 2011.
- In 2012, IG was acquired by Facebook and was made available to Android owners.
- Sponsored posts were added to IG in 2013.
- The Boomerang feature was unveiled in 2015.
- The Stories feature launched in 2016.
- In 2018, the network released IGTV.
- Instagram is owned by Facebook and is headquartered in Menlo Park, California.
Distribution of Instagram Users Worldwide
Take a Look at Who Is Actually on Instagram, as Ranked by Age and Gender:
- In all age groups, except of 18-34, there are more females than males on IG.
- People ages 65 and older make up just 1% of IG’s audience.
- The most popular age group on IG is the 25 to 34 range, followed by the 18-24 group.
Percentage of U.S. Internet Users Who Use Instagram
These Findings Are Based on the January 2018 Annual Household Income in U.S. Dollars:
- 56% of people on Instagram earn between $70,000 and $$80,000.
- 60% of folks on IG make $$100,000 or more.
- 36% of them make $60,000 to $$70,000 a year.
Instagram User Statistics
IG Now Has One Billion People, but Where Are All of Those People Located? Check Below to Find Out:
- The site has 1B monthly active users.
- Brazil has the second-most at 99M.
- India has 140M, the world’s third-largest percentage.
- More than 60% of IG members log into the app every day.
- The largest demographic of IG are males between 18 and 24 years old.
- The most IG visitors reside in the United States (140M people).
- 37% of people on the Internet have an IG account.
Instagram Usage Statistics
Besides knowing who is using the network, it is good to know how they are using it. That can help marketers make a bigger difference in their target demographic. So far, IG has seen over 50 billion images, and millions of posts are shared each day.
- About 500M people use IG Stories every day.
- Android owners spend an average of 53 minutes per day on the app.
- Around 4.2M users make use of IGTV.
- Between 2016 and 2018, Instagram usage doubled.
- 90% of IG users follow a business on the app.
- Over half of the businesses that have an IG account use the Stories feature.
- There are more than 25M business profiles on IG.
- There are 4M IG advertisers per month.
- People can have up to six accounts on the network.
Projected Revenue of Instagram
The projected revenue numbers are from the 1st quarter of 2017 to the 4th quarter of 2023 in billions of U.S. dollars. The app is one of the fastest-growing marketing tactics of modern times. People can use it for advertising, sharing sponsored posts, and driving traffic to their personal or business website.
- Currently, the total IG revenue is at about $3.3B.
- Instagram was responsible for 10.6% of Facebook’s revenue in 2017.
- The 2017 first-quarter revenue was about $1.7B.
- The expected 2023 revenue is around $18B.
- The platform’s newest checkout feature is expected to bring in $10B by 2023.
- There are 25M business profiles on IG.
YouTube continues to be one of the most popular social platforms, with hundreds of videos going out every minute of every day. Most folks are spending over a half-hour on the site each day.
Check out the Nitty-Gritty Details Below:
- Every minute, there are 300 hours of video uploaded to the site.
- In just mobile views alone, there are over 1.1B.
- More than half of the views on the site are on a mobile device.
- 90% of Americans ages 18-44 watch YouTube videos.
- Only a small portion of businesses utilize YouTube, about 9%.
- Presidential debates in the United States started streaming on YT in 2012.
- 60% of people prefer platforms like YT in place of live TV.
- The average user spends 40 minutes on YouTube each day.
- The total watch time on YouTube worldwide is over 1B hours daily.
- The video for “Despacito,” is the most-watched video submitted by a user, with over 7B views.
- YT reaches more millennials than cable TV does.
YouTube History Statistics
It’s hard to believe that this network is 16 years old. The average viewing session on the site is up 50% year-over-year, and it just keeps growing. Over 5 billion videos have been shared, and over 50 million people are creating content on the site.
Read on for More Historical Data on YT:
- Co-founder Jawed Karim uploaded the first YouTube video, Me at the Zoo, on April 23, 2005.
- YouTube.com was activated on February 14, 2005.
- YouTube announced that Google was purchasing it on October 9, 2006.
- The site first launched ads in 2007.
- The highest-earning YouTuber made $22 million in 2018.
YouTube Usage Statistics
Who is using YT? Just about everyone, but here are the details on which demographics make the most use of it.
- The site is second to Google in terms of the most number of visits.
- With nearly 2B members, YT is the second-most-popular social network.
- 500 hours of video are uploaded every minute.
- 70% of its views come from a mobile device.
- 5B. hours of content are watched on the site each day.
- T-Series has the most YT subscribers, with over 173M.
- The average view time on a mobile device is about 40 minutes.
- YouTube is the second-biggest search engine online.
YouTube Demographics Stats
Millennials definitely love YouTube, as these demographic stats will show. In addition, there are 2M people paying for a TV subscription on the site. The age groups of 35+ and 55+ are the fast-growing. YouTube is most popular in China, India, Japan, Russia, The U.S.
Check Out More Stats Below:
- Both Millennials and Gen Z increased their YouTube usage last year.
- Half of Americans over the age of 75 watches YT.
- Females and males watch YouTube equally.
- 90% of American millennials go on YouTube.
- 70% of millennials use the site to look up tutorials and guides.
- The bulk of YouTube’s marketing efforts are geared towards millennials.
- The United States is the home of over 15% of YouTubers.
YouTube Subscriber Growth Stats
One of the most exciting things about this site is watching a favorite YouTubers subscriber count go up. Here are the stats on the hottest content creators:
- The number of channels with over 1 million subs grow 75% since 2017.
- The number of YouTubers who earn over five figures increased by 50% since 2017.
- LEGO is the most popular brand account on YT, with 11.7M subscribers.
- PewDiePie lost his status as the most popular YouTuber when T-Series surpassed him.
- The number of content creators on YT earning more than six figures increased by 40% since 2017.
- There are over 8K YouTubers with over a million subscribers.
Good old Facebook. It continues to be popular today with businesses and personal pages, especially among middle-aged people. Check out more general stats below:
- Every day, 500K+ more people sign up for Facebook.
- In just one second, the site gains 6 new profiles.
- Nearly 70% of Americans are on Facebook.
- Almost 80% of U.S. adults use the site.
- The average user time on FB is 35 minutes a day.
- Users have an average of 155 friends on Facebook.
- 50% of Internet users without a FB account live with someone who does, and 24% of those people use their partner’s account to look at photos and posts.
- There are an estimated 400M fake Facebook profiles.
- About three-quarters of FB users check the site every day.
- Between January-March 2018, the site removed 583M fake accounts.
- Facebook has the most popular Facebook page.
- Facebook’s Messenger app is the most popular in terms of total downloads.
- The site’s revenue doubled in the past three years.
- Today, FB is the third-most-popular website, behind Google and YouTube.
Facebook Historical Facts
Mark Zuckerberg was just 23 when he hatched the idea for this site. He had actually already created a social networking site called Coursematch. Here is some interesting Facebook history that will shed some light on just how far the site has come:
- The site launched on February 4, 2004.
- It wasn’t publicly available until September 26, 2006.
- Mark Zuckerberg created the site along with his Harvard roommates.
- Facebook was meant for university students initially.
- The creators only allowed Harvard students to use the site at first.
- The site used to be called Facemash.
Distribution of Facebook Users Worldwide
Facebook users are all over the globe, and these figures reflect the data as of July 2023, ranked by age and gender. Out of these users, 66% of them go on the platform every day, with each visit lasting 10 to 12 minutes. Americans spend the most time on the site, about 58 minutes per day.
- People ages 65 and up to make up just 2% of Facebook users.
- 14.2% of males ages 18-24 use FB, but only 10% of females in the same age group.
- The largest demographic is the 25-34 year-old range.
Leading Countries Based on Number of Facebook Users
Again, this data is as of July 2023 and is recorded in millions. Over half of FB users speak English, while the rest of them speak over 100 languages, predominantly Spanish, Indonesian, Arabic, and Portuguese.
- India is the leading country in terms of FB use, at 32M people.
- Mexico rounds out the top five countries with the most FB users, at 93M.
- The United States is in second place with 190M users.
- There are 140M FB users in Indonesia and 130M in Brazil.
- Turkey and the United Kingdom both have 38M FB users.
Facebook Usage Statistics
It’s a bit scary to think of how many people are on FB at any given time. Check out these Facebook Internet usage stats to see how different demographics and brands compare to each other:
- 30% of people online go on FB more than once per day.
- 45% of people get their news from FB.
- 40% of people are willing to share their health and fitness data on the site.
- There are about 400M fake FB profiles.
- The most popular brand on FB is Samsung, with 159M likes.
- Americans spend 22% of their Internet time using FB, but only 11% using Google and YouTube combined.
- Cristiano Ronaldo is the most-liked celebrity on FB, with 124M likes.
- Facebook’s own profile page has 214M likes.
- Facebook Lite helps maintain connections in the developing world and is used by 200M people.
- 62% of the app and website log-ins are done on FB.
Facebook’s Global Revenue
Most of Facebook’s ad revenue comes from mobile devices and has climbed steadily since 2010.
Check out the Details Below:
- Facebook had negative net income in 2007 and 2008.
- In the third quarter of 2011, their total advertising revenue equaled $798M.
- Total earned revenue jumped over $15M between 2017 and 2018.
- Annual revenue in 2018 was $55.8M.
- In quarter two of 2023, FB earned additional revenue from fees totaling $262M.
- Their total ad revenue in the second quarter of 2023 was $16.6 billion.
Even people who don’t have a Twitter account still visit the site. In fact, there are about 500 million visits to Twitter every month by non-users.
Read Below to See the Stats for Actual Users:
- A little less than a quarter of Americans use Twitter.
- Every day, 500M tweets are sent out.
- Every month, the site sees 353M users.
- 44% of active users leave the site without sending a tweet.
- Half of the sites’ tweets come from their top five countries.
- 6,000 tweets are sent every second.
- The average number of followers a Twitter user has is 707.
- The billionth tweet came three years, two months, and one day after the first tweet.
- There are about 391 million Twitter accounts that have zero followers.
- Twitter has 1.3 billion individual accounts.
Twitter Historical Facts
Go back in time and check out when Twitter was new to the Internet scene. Today, the company has its headquarters in San Francisco, California, and the site is used around the world. Its key subsidiaries include Periscope and MoPub:
- The first tweet was sent on March 21, 2006, by co-founder Jack Dorsey and said: “Just setting up my twttr”.
- The site launched in July 2006, although it was created in March 2006.
- Hashtags were first used on Twitter in August 2007.
- It was founded by Jack Dorsey, Noah Glass, Biz Stone, and Evan Williams.
- The first person to use a hashtag on the site was Chris Messina, who used #barcamp.
Distribution of Twitter Users Worldwide
This data is as of July 2023, by gender. There is somewhat of a large disparity between male and female users. Even so, the number of users has been growing exponentially since 2011. Check it out below:
- Males make up 69% of Twitter users.
- Only 6% of teenage males in the United States prefer Twitter over other social networks.
Distribution of Twitter Users Worldwide
There are 40 million Twitter users in Japan, which is about three times are much as in the United Kingdom. Moreover, 16% of the U.S. population uses the social network, but only 10% of the Finnish population. Check out the different age groups on Twitter, as of January 2023:
- 12% of Twitter’s users are over age 50.
- Just 7.8% of Twitter’s users are teens.
- The largest age group on Twitter is the 18-24 range at 25.2%.
- The second-largest age group on the site is the 25-34 range at 26.6%.
- 28.4% of Twitter users fall between 35 and 49 years of age.
Twitter User Statistics
Here is some more information about who is on Twitter and what their background is:
- There are 353 million monthly active users.
- Over 1.3 billion accounts have been created.
- 44% of users abandoned their account without sending a tweet.
- Only 550 million people have tweeted.
- 80% of active users access Twitter via the mobile app.
- Out of all Twitter users, 32% have a college education, and 25% have some college experience.
- The majority of users live in either urban or suburban areas.
- 32% of Twitter users make over $75,000 a year.
- 20% of users make $30,000 a year or less.
- 24% of Twitter users are White, 26% are Black, and 20% are Hispanic.
- 31% of Americans who have salary of $75,000 or more for a year say they use TW.
Twitter Usage Statistics
Millions of people use the site each day, with 6,000 tweets going out per second.
Here’s a Breakdown of Twitter’s Internet Usage Stats:
- It is estimated that 27 million of Twitter’s active users are actually bots.
- The tweet with the most retweets is from Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa and has 5.5 million RTs.
This data shows Twitter’s ad revenue and net income from the 1st quarter of 2013 to the 2nd quarter of 2023. It is segmented in millions of U.S. dollars:
- For its first two years, the site saw increased steady growth in terms of ad revenue.
- From quarter one of 2013 to quarter two of 2023, there was an increase of over $626M.
- Twitter’s best ad revenue quarter was the last three months of 2023, with $1155Billion.
- Total revenue dropped $111M between the last quarter of 2018 and the first quarter of 2023.
- It experienced a 7% increase in forth quarter of 2023.
- Earnings from data licensing totals to about $134M so far this year.
- The majority of Twitter’s revenue comes from advertising.
Snapchat is giving other long-standing social platforms a run for its money.
Check out Some General Facts and Figures Below:
- There are 265M active daily users on the app.
- 60% of Snapchat’s user base is under the age of 25.
- Nearly a quarter of American adults are on the app.
- Almost 25% of Americans ages 18-24 are on the app.
- Snapchat spent $90M on ads in 2016.
- The average daily Snapchat usage is 49.5 minutes.
- 47% of teens prefer Snapchat over Facebook and 24% of them like Snapchat better than Instagram.
Snapchat History Facts
There is more to this app than meets the eye. Here is some brief history on the image-sharing application:
- The founders created Snapchat while working on a final project at Stanford and went through 34 iterations before it was complete.
- The app became available on Android in 2012.
- Filters became a huge part of the app in 2014.
- It was created by Stanford University students Reggie Brown, Bobby Murphy, and Evan Spiegel.
- Snapchat’s early name was Picaboo, and it was only on iPhone.
Number of Daily Active Snapchat Users
The growth that this company has experienced from the first quarter of 2014 to the second quarter of 2023 is pretty incredible. Check it out:
- Back in the first quarter of 2014, the app had 46M users.
- More than a billion snaps are sent daily.
- Over 1238M people use the app every day.
- Snapchat ended 2018 with 186M users.
- The forth quarter of 2023 saw the highest number ever of Snapchat users at 265M.
- There are over 400M Snapchat stories posted every day.
Number of Daily Active Snapchat Users
Check out the data below to see where all of those Snapchat users are hiding. These social media usage stats are taken from the second quarter of 2015 to the forth quarter of 2023 and categorize users by region in millions:
- In the second quarter of 2023, there were about 90M Snapchat users in North America and 70M in Europe.
- North America continues to be the region with the most users, although the difference is becoming less noticeable.
- The rest of the world has caught up to North America in terms of overall user count and is now only slightly behind.
Snapchat Usage Statistics
Snapchat is definitely the most popular in the Western world, but people all across the globe use it.
Check out the Details Below:
- Snapchat is expected to get 600,000 new users between 2023 and 2023.
- The app gets downloaded about 41M times per month.
- Out of the 203M Snapchat users, 140M of them are in Europe or North America.
- About 1B Snapchat users are on Android.
Global Annual Revenue of Snapchat
Check out how Snapchat fares in terms of annual revenue. This data is from 2015 to 2023 in millions of U.S. dollars:
- In 2015, the app’s annual revenue was $58.66 million.
- Last year, 2023, the app earned 2.506 billion.
- The app earned $2.09 per user in the 4th quarter of 2018.
- They paid more than $100M to publishing partners in 2017.
Plenty of people talk about getting lost on Pinterest for hours. These Pinterest social media usage stats will provide some insight into why:
- There are 416M active users each month.
- The average time spent on the app is about 75 minutes.
- 67% of people on Pinterest are under the age of 40.
Pinterest History Facts
This app is almost 10 years old, but it shows no signs of slowing down. What started as an invitation-only network evolved into a rabbit hole for creatives. Those initial 10,000 users turned into 291 million users.
Here Is a Look at Its Beginnings:
- Founder Ben Silbermann gave the first 5,000 users his personal phone number.
- The founders started development in December 2009.
- It was launched in March 2010.
- There were 10,000 users nine months after the app first launched.
- Pinterest is available in 28 languages.
- The app was founded by Paul Sciarra, Evan Sharp, and Ben Silbermann.
Number of Monthly Active Pinterest Users
These figures reflect data from the first quarter of 2016 to the second quarter of 2023. Interestingly, the number of monthly active users in the United States has stayed largely the same, although it has increased in other parts of the world.
- Elsewhere in the world, there are 416M monthly active users.
- There are 125M monthly active Pinterest users in the United States.
- Two million users save something to a Pinboard every day.
- Half of the millennials in the United States use the app.
- 77% of Pinterest users are female.
Percentage of U.S. Adults Who Use Pinterest
This app seems to be a hit with teens as well as adults. In fact, 67% of its users are millennials, and 79% of them use the site to learn new skills and information. These findings reflect the data as of February 2023.
- 50% of American millennials are on Pinterest.
- The smallest demographic of Pinterest users is the 65 and older crowd at 15%.
- Those between 18 and 29 years of age make up 34% of Pinterest users.
- Users between the ages of 30 and 49 made of 35% of Pinterest users.
Pinterest’s Average Quarterly Revenue
The average quarterly revenue per Pinterest user is highest in the United States. Moreover, 80% of millennials use the site to help them find things to buy, and 1 million businesses are currently on the platform. There are more facts and figures below:
- In the first quarter of 2016, Pinterest was making 74 cents per user.
- The highest this figure has ever been was $5.94 in the 4th quarter of 2023.
- Pinterest seems to see its worst annual revenue per user in the first quarter of each year.
- The app’s average revenue per user is $2.50 in the 2nd quarter of 2023.
It’s easy to forget about LinkedIn, but it is still a popular social network today. In fact, 40% of its users log into the site every day. In the United States alone, there are over 146 million members on the platform.
Here Area Few More Insights:
- The site has 766M members.
- LinkedIn has 310M monthly active users.
- Over 30 million companies have profiles on LinkedIn.
- In the United States, 27% of adults use the website.
LinkedIn History Facts
Check out how this professional networking site became a hot social media platform:
- An announcement in June 2016 revealed that Microsoft was buying the site for $26.2 billion.
- LinkedIn’s founders are Allen Blue, Konstantin Guericke, Reid Hoffman, Eric Ly, and Jean-Luc Vaillant.
- Sequoia Capital invested in LinkedIn in November 2003.
- The first money-making effort, LinkedIn Jobs, launched in 2005.
- The site was founded on December 28, 2002, and launched on May 5, 2003.
Distribution of LinkedIn Users Worldwide
Unlike other social media, LinkedIn is not the most popular with teens. If companies want to reach the under-30 crowd, then they should check out this website. People ages 18 to 29 are using the platform to secure their first real job and form career partnerships. Here are how the demographics experience the platform:
- The largest demographic is people between 25 and 34 years of age at 60.1%.
- The smallest user age group is people 55 and older, at 3.3%.
- Those aged 35 to 54 make up 17.5% of the users.
- Young adults (ages 18 to 24) make up 19.2% of LinkedIn’s user base.
Distribution of LinkedIn Users Worldwide
Besides age, the people on LinkedIn can be divided by gender. Males are only slightly more prevalent on the site than females. Interestingly, 26% of female Internet users joined LinkedIn, along with 25% of male Internet users. Here are some more figures as of January 2023:
- Males are more likely to use social platforms to influence people, improve their status, and gather information.
- Men are responsible for 56.9%, and women are 43.1% of LinkedIn’s users.
- Oddly enough, 62% of men use social media compared to 71% of women.
LinkedIn Usage Statistics
There are over 100 million individuals using LinkedIn each month. In France, there are 20 million users, and there are 45 million in Brazil. Even Russia had 6 million users on the site before it was banned. Here is a breakdown of LinkedIn’s Internet stats:
- A tiny number of small businesses use the site, just 17% of the market.
- More than half of the site’s traffic comes from mobile.
- Over 1M members have published on LinkedIn’s Pulse platform.
- The average CEO on LinkedIn has 930 connections.
- There are over 30 million company pages on LinkedIn.
Annual Revenue of LinkedIn
This data looked at the numbers from 2017 to 2023 in millions of U.S. dollars:
- In 2018, LinkedIn had annual revenue of nearly $5.3 million.
- Its operating loss in 2018 was $63M.
- LinkedIn contributed $2.3 billion in revenue to Microsoft in 2017.
- Revenue increased by 33% in the first quarter of 2023.
- The site earns revenue from ads, premium subscriptions, recruitment, and training.
- There was an over $3M increase between 2017 and 2018.
Most Effective Digital Marketing Techniques
Social media platforms use a range of marketing efforts to reach the masses. Depending on the specific channel and target demographic, one technique may be more effective than another. Keep in mind that these insights were according to marketers worldwide in 2018. Those who want to make greater marketing gains should try a combination of methods:
- AI and machine learning is as effective as big data in marketing to Internet users.
- Content marketing comes out on top as the most successful marketing tactic, at 20%.
- Content marketing can come in the form of infographics, newsletters, videos, and more.
- Social media marketing only makes up 10% of digital efforts.
- Both marketing automation and mobile marketing make up 9% of all digital techniques used.
- Conversion rate optimization is slightly ahead of SEO, at 5% of digital marketer tactics.
- Search engine optimization is responsible for only 4% of digital marketing efforts.
- Each of these techniques makes up 3% of digital marketing efforts: communities, Internet of Things, and online PR.
- Paid search marketing accounts for only 2% of digital marketing methods.
Perceived Level of ROI Generated by Selected Digital Marketing Channels
Each of those different digital marketing efforts will bring in a variety of ROIs, or returns on investment. Expert marketers looked at the data as of June 2017 to make estimates on the perceived level of ROI of each technique. Keep this in mind when looking at other social media statistics in 2023.
- Email marketing and automation has the highest medium-level ROI at 43%.
- SEO isn’t much further behind, with a medium ROI of 41%.
- Content marketing, in general, has a perceived medium ROI of 40%.
- The lowest medium ROI of all digital marketing techniques is website personalization, at 26%.
- Organic social media has a higher ROI (39%) than paid social media ads (36%).
- Online PR and outreach has a steady medium ROI of 37%.
- Search engine optimization has the worst lowest ROI at just 15%.
- A third of industry professionals think a combination of content marketing, email automation marketing, and SEO is the best way to go.
The Evolution of Internet Culture
These are the top social media stats in 2023 that online marketers and digital content experts are looking at. Hopefully, this provides more insight into which avenues are best, depending on the target audience. It is clear that having a presence on more than one social network is the best tactic, especially in order to gain influence and earn additional revenue. There might be some surprising facts and figures here, which is why it is crucial always to stay aware of digital content trends. With this guide of statistics, creators can make a bigger difference and grow with the global phenomenon of social media.
Which statistics surprised you the most? Did these facts and figures convince you to try a new social media strategy? Tell us about your impressions in the comments below.